Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Raspberry Pi and Android App
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Raspberry Pi and Android App

by Israeletu on Sun May 31, 2020 9:40 am

Hello there, I want to sense some substances with a sensor connected to Raspberry Pi Zero W and send the information to an Android App to display. Please what configurations do I need to make for the communication to be effective? Again, how do I reconcile the difference in Operating Systems and IDEs because Raspberry Pi Zero W uses python and runs on Linux while Andoir App uses Android Studio and runs on Android? If you have a documentation that can give me a clear set of guides please help me with it.

Thank you

Israeletu

Re: Raspberry Pi and Android App

by siddacious on Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:48 pm

That is quite the project! It should be quite a learning experience as there are may pieces that will go into it, each with many sub-parts.

You'll have to research the specifics yourself, but in broad strokes you will want to:

A> Measure data on from the sensor on the Pi
B> Store and upload the measurement to somewhere that can act as a server to make the measurements available
C> Read the measurements from that central storage system into your Android application and display or use them how you see fit.

I would suggest sticking with HTTP(S), JSON, and other web protocols and encoding schemes as they are commonly used for this or similar purposes so you will be able to find lots of references and examples. Additionally by using a common communication protocol, you can sidestep any operating system considerations by speaking a "common language".

One last suggestion; you may find Adafruit.io useful as a central store for your data. You can find more information here:
https://io.adafruit.com/
additionally you may be interested in this learn guide that covers storing sensor readings to Adafruit.io from a Pi
https://learn.adafruit.com/iot-temperat ... dafruit-io

siddacious

Re: Raspberry Pi and Android App

by Israeletu on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:09 am

Thank you very much, Admin.
I will try out your suggestions.

Thank you.

Israeletu

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.