Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Brand New Pygamer - 5 Red LEDs - no screen
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Brand New Pygamer - 5 Red LEDs - no screen

by khendar on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:25 am

Howdy. I've just gotten a hold of a pygamer and it worked briefly the first time I powered it on, but every subsequent time I turn it on i get 5 red LEDS on the front, the CHG LED on the back is flashing furiously and D13 is flashing as well. I have nothing on the screen and I can't get it to load the bootloader screen. I have it plugged into my computer and it is not appearing as a device at all.

I have plugged it into a USB power bank, a wall charger and my computer, all with the same result.

Could I just have a dead unit or am i doing something wrong ?

khendar

Re: Brand New Pygamer - 5 Red LEDs - no screen

by tannewt on Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:01 pm

Hi! The 5 red LEDs and the D13 flashing are indicators that the bootloader is running and no USB is detected. Triple check that your USB cable is a data cable. This is by far the most common problem. Also try different computers if you have more than one.

The CHG LED flashing is common and expected when no battery is plugged in.

tannewt

Re: Brand New Pygamer - 5 Red LEDs - no screen

by khendar on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:47 pm

Thanks for the tip - I tried a different cable on another computer and it looks like its working now. Now it works from the external battery, using the same cables as I tried last time and on the Linux laptop I was trying before.

I wonder if somehow the bootloader got into a weird conflicted state. I don't quite understand how plugging it into another computer with a different cable will suddenly make it work with the previous setup.

khendar

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.