Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

building frozen modules make errors
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

building frozen modules make errors

by johncblacker on Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:59 pm

I'm trying to build a micropython that supports the esp32-camera, but I keep getting errors trying to compile various driver files. The compiler is indicating a "SyntaxError" because the first line of some of the .py files in the modules directory is simply a directory "directive" defining where to get the source from. For example the file ntptime.py has a single line:
../../esp8266/modules/ntptime.py
and there are a slew of others that are the same. I surmise that this is supposed to direct the compiler to find the source in the directory defined in the first statement, but that's not a valid python statement that I'm familiar with. Can someone explain this to me and also help me get the make process to work? I don't want to hunt down the source for each of these .py files and copy it to the modules directory for obvious reasons.

johncblacker

Re: building frozen modules make errors

by tannewt on Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:22 pm

I think that may be a symlink rather than a real file. For more MicroPython support I suggest their forum: https://forum.micropython.org/

tannewt

Re: building frozen modules make errors

by johncblacker on Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:23 pm

Thanks. The only reason I posted here is that there is a mini-tutorial about writing micropython modules on the Adafruit website, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I did post on the micropython forum, as well. You're absolutely correct. Now that I did a ls -al I can see that the first character is "l" which if I'm correct signifies a link. So, though, if that's the case, why weren't they being resolved correctly during the make process rather than throwing a "SyntaxError?" Apparently during the make process, it's not resolving the link but trying to compile the file and then throws the error...hmmmmm......?
But, anyway, thanks for your reply.

johncblacker

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.