Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Where do I find storage.py?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Where do I find storage.py?

by ronfischler on Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:31 pm

I had been doing development using CircuitPython on a Feather M4, and I was doing file IO to a SPI-connected Micro-SD card using the "adafruit_sdcard" and "storage modules." I have recently begun a migration to a RPi Zero W board, and although there may be other solutions, I would like this to continue working as it was. I installed Blinka and I was able to get adafruit_sdcard by installing adafruit-circuitpython-sd using pip3. I cannot create the VFS however, as the storage module does not seem to be available, or at least I have failed to find it. Example code is below:

import adafruit_sdcard
import storage

sdcard = adafruit_sdcard.SDCard(spi, cs)
vfs = storage.VfsFat(sdcard)

Can the storage module be included somehow for RPi boards, to make this work?

ronfischler

Re: Where do I find storage.py?

by danhalbert on Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:03 pm

`storage` is a native module, implemented in C in CircuitPython, that exposes the FAT filesystem implementation inside CircuitPython.

It's possible to add a secondary SD card slots on the RPi, using hardware or software SPI, but that is a lot of trouble: I looked up how some people had done it.

A much easier thing for you to do would be to add a USB SD card reader to the USB OTG jack on the RPi Zero, and just read and write the card as a regular mounted USB FAT filesystem. Imagine, for instance, just plugging a USB stick into a regular RPI with normal USB ports, and reading and writing it. This is basically the same thing. You just need an OTG adapter.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.