Black Lives Matter - Action and Equality. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

CPX board with more memory for CircuitPython
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CPX board with more memory for CircuitPython

by gwfong on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:11 pm

Hi All. I have written 2 pretty complicated applications using CircuitPython and Circuit Playground Express. In both cases, the complexity of my applications exceeded the memory available on the CPX. I had to constantly compile my code down to get it to fit on the board, or restructured it, or cut out features altogether. In one case, I had to not use the standard Adafruit provided CPX library due to its overhead. Now I already understand that developing with SBCs and microcontrollers comes resource limitations. But for my hobby projects (or quick prototypes) I would rather just not have to worry about that aspect.

Is there another board supported by CircuitPython that is as capable as the CPX but has more memory? On-board sensors, buttons, switches, and LEDs are not necessary. I'll use them if they exist, but I can sacrifice them for more memory and even speed. Of course GPIO is a requirement.

gwfong

Re: CPX board with more memory for CircuitPython

by tannewt on Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:25 pm

The CircuitPlayground Bluefruit is the same form factor with more RAM: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4333

You could also move away from that form factor into the SAMD51 "M4" boards for more ram and speed.

tannewt

Re: CPX board with more memory for CircuitPython

by gwfong on Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:12 pm

Nice! I have both waiting in the wings for a new project idea. Thanks for the advise.

gwfong

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.