Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Servo power off
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Servo power off

by topherhunter on Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:28 pm

I am building a puppetry system, where various servos activate a coordinated animation upon a trigger. I'd like the puppet to go to 'sleep' after a certain amount of time, in order to save battery and get a temporary rest from servo whine. I have a timeout check in my code, where it tracks the time since the last command was sent, and goes to a sleeping posture after XX seconds. However right now the servos are still fully powered while in sleep.

My setup is an M4 Feather Express and Servo FeatherWing, running CircuitPython. Is there a good way to shut down the servos?

topherhunter

Re: Servo power off

by kevinjwalters on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:50 am

I have a Marty the Robot which does this to save power. I don't know how it does this but looking at its rick control board circuit diagram I'd guess it just stops the PWM signal on the control pin rather than removing the power from the servos to achieve that.

Are you using the high-level adafruit_servokit library? That doesn't have an obvious way to do/test that but perhaps I'm missing something.

kevinjwalters

by tannewt on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:56 am

You can disable the PWM signal to the motor by setting `angle = None`.

tannewt

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:01 pm

Note that there are a few servo models which will continue to actively hold the last commanded position - even after the signal goes away. We've seen this in some of the recent batches of TowerPro metal gear micro servos. The only way to turn those servos off is to completely cut power to them.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.