Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

M4SK not working after separating boards
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

M4SK not working after separating boards

by boldar on Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:27 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased the M4SK on order number 2341267-8185713410 - the unit was working before separating the boards at the nose, but stopped working after separating the boards and plugging in the 9 pin cable. There appears to be bent pins inside the 9-pin plug of the side with the MicroUSB power. Is there a way to fix the bent pins or should the unit be replaced?

Thank you!

boldar

Re: M4SK not working after separating boards

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Are the pins so bent that it prevents inserting the mating connector?

adafruit_support_carter

by boldar on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:02 pm

It would appear so, but the plug seems to still go pretty far in. It just looks like the bent pins aren't being inserted into the holes in the plug to make contact.

boldar

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:29 pm

Then it's likely the other pins are not making contact either. Like the bent pins are preventing the connector from being fully inserted.

Are they so bent that they don't even try to go in the holes on the mating connector? Can you upload of a photo of the bent pins?

adafruit_support_carter

by boldar on Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:46 pm

The detail is so small that it's hard to focus properly to see them, but here is one of the better attempts:

M4SK-bent-pins.jpg
M4SK bent pins
M4SK-bent-pins.jpg (432.96 KiB) Viewed 15 times

boldar

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:28 pm

Thanks. Yah, hard to tell what's happening. If it seems like you can get the pins to at least *start* going in the mating connector holes, then you might be able to straighten them by continuing to insert the connector. The connector housing will acts as a guide.

adafruit_support_carter

by boldar on Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:57 am

Wow, that worked surprisingly well! I used a flathead screwdriver intended for eyeglasses and nearly went blind in the process, but I eventually got it all lined back up :) Both eyes seem to be working once again. Thank you!

While I have you here. I have a quick question about cutting out the bottom part under the nose area to increase my viewable area while these units are close to my eyes. (just a little wider and higher than my actual eyes) - I marked the picture below where I'm considering Dremel-ing out, but I want to make sure there isn't anything on the board that'll be a problem if I remove those sections. Would it be ok to remove what I have highlighted in red lines?

M4SK-nose-cut-2.jpg
cut out red?
M4SK-nose-cut-2.jpg (109.84 KiB) Viewed 11 times

boldar

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:34 am

Cool. Good job! Not sure how they got bent in the first place, esp. since the pins are inside a protected connector. But just glad that repair worked.

For the question about cutting, consult the fab print here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mon ... /downloads
specifically, this one:
https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... _Print.png

The red and blue lines are copper traces, so you want to avoid cutting through those. It actually looks fairly free of traces in the area you want to cut. So should be OK. There is one trace that comes fairly close (green arrow) so be careful of that.
mask.jpg
mask.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 9 times

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.