Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Accessing CRICKIT from MicroPython?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Accessing CRICKIT from MicroPython?

by sealyon on Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:25 pm

I'm running MicroPython on my ESP8266 and ESP32 Feather boards and am wondering if I can access CRICKIT hardware from within MicroPython when using these boards. I know the CRICKIT boards have CircuitPython support but not sure if you can use tge same libraries with straight MicroPython. I guess another question would be if it's possible to run CircuitPython on these boards instead of running MicroPython (although I'm not really sure I like the idea of giving away the full functionality of MicroPython but I guess it would worth it to gain the functionality of the CRICKIT board if that was the only option). If anyone can help clarify all this I'd really appreciate whatever info you can share. Thanks.

sealyon

Re: Accessing CRICKIT from MicroPython?

by tannewt on Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Hi! Unfortunately, you can't run CircuitPython on those boards because they don't have native USB.

It shouldn't be too hard to create an I2C bus object that uses the native MicroPython API internally. Once you have that, you can pass it into the Seesaw library like the native CircuitPython API in this example: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... it_test.py

The Blinka library did have support to do this but I'm not sure it still works. https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Blinka

tannewt

by sealyon on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:39 am

Thanks for the reply. But not sure if you said YES or NO. Well, you did say I can't run CircuitPython on the either the ESP8266 or ESP32. But, more importantly, I'm still unclear whether I'd be able to use CRICKIT hardware when running MicroPython. Could you give me a little more detail on exactly how I'd have to try to do this?

If I stay in Arduino (not my first choice but I can do it if I have to), should I be OK using CRICKIT with these Feather boards?

Appreciate the help. Thanks.

sealyon

by sealyon on Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:17 am

Can you please provide a little more detail??

sealyon

by tannewt on Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:37 am

Crickit uses Seesaw which is an I2C protocol for remote control. My original suggestion was to make an I2C compatibility object between MicroPython and CircuitPython to pass into the Crickit library.

The alternative is to copy the I2C transactions you need out of https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Ci ... /seesaw.py and then migrate them to MicroPython.

tannewt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.