Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

RFM9x mpy version issue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RFM9x mpy version issue

by bobmartin on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:09 am

Upgraded ItsyBity to CP 5.3.1 (cpy_ver.png) and downloaded circuiypython-bundle-5x-mpy-20200911 (mpy-bundle.png) to fetch the rfm9x library and was met with the error message that I needed to update my .mpy files (mpy_whoops.png). I would have suspected that 5.3.1 would have had recent enough files to support the most recent mpy bundle otherwise this become a versioning nightmare

I haven't dug into the source code of the RFM9x library yet but though y'all should know

cheers
bob
Attachments
mpy_whoops.png
mpy_whoops.png (29.5 KiB) Viewed 36 times
mpy_bundle.png
mpy_bundle.png (44.35 KiB) Viewed 36 times
cpy_ver.png
cpy_ver.png (19.21 KiB) Viewed 36 times

bobmartin

Re: RFM9x mpy version issue

by bobmartin on Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:26 am

Hi

So, it's the bus device library that was the error trip. I updated the adafruit_bus_device libs and all is good.

Just wondering if there's a way to tag compatible releases of the bundles with releases of the CP core.

cheers
bob m

bobmartin

Re: RFM9x mpy version issue

by danhalbert on Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:29 am

Right, it's always necessary to upgrade everything at once, for the libraries to be compatible with each other. It's not just the .mpy version, it's also that how a library is called might have changed, and another library will depend on that. Or, we've changed how the core modules (like, say, busio) are called, and the library needs to be updated. But those updates would not raise incompatible .mpy version errors.

What were you upgrading from? The current version of .mpy files has been the same since 3.x.

One reason that one might see a .mpy version error is that a .mpy file is corrupt. That can happen if it was copied incompletely to CIRCUITPY. Since you're on Windows, make sure that after you copy files use by dragging or from a CMD window, that you then "Eject" the drive from the taskbar icon (the one that looks like a USB drive). That will ensure that the file is completely copied.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.