Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

QT Py and playing sound
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

QT Py and playing sound

by LorenW on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:41 pm

I am new to this forum and to the amazing world of Adafruit, but I have jumped in with both feet, and am having an amazing, fun learning experience.

My question is about the QT Py.

I have purchased one and am up and running with CircuitPython 6.0.0 (adafruit-circuitpython-qtpy_m0-en_US-6.0.0-beta.2.uf2).

Having checked the latest CircuitPython support matrix, it appears that there is no access to the sound libraries "audiocore" and "audioio" without QT Py Haxpress (soldering on a flash chip and installing the special firmware).

Is that indeed the case? Please forgive my ignorance, but is there some other path to playing sound using the I2S features and a breakout, or something else, or is soldering the flash chip the only way to go?

Ultimately I would like to play a .wav file.

Thank you!

LorenW

Re: QT Py and playing sound

by tannewt on Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:56 pm

Hi Loren,
Welcome to the world of Adafruit! You are correct that the regular version of CircuitPython is missing audio functionality. We just don't have the room for it and the tiny file system.

I'd recommend adding the flash or buying a board with flash already. That way you'll get the audio APIs and have room to store your wav files.
~Scott

tannewt

Re: QT Py and playing sound

by LorenW on Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:27 pm

Hello Scott --

Thank you for your response!

I will look into getting a chip to solder to the QT Py.

The GD25Q16 - 2MB SPI Flash chip was out of stock when I originally purchased the QT Py, or I would have purchased it! That being said, it is still out of stock at Adafruit, but I did happen to see this video where LadyAda dives into options available at Digikey.

This video is very helpful.

Thanks again for your help!

Regards,

-- Loren

LorenW

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.