🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

CP Build error make python command not found - Solved
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

CP Build error make python command not found - Solved

by ghhann on Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:57 am

I followed the update my local git pull of the CP firmware by the following (Im running ubuntu 20.04 in WSL2)

git pull
git submodule sync
git submodule update --init

this is the arm tool chain

ghhann@ghhann-PC:~/Programs/circuitpython/ports/atmel-samd$ which arm-none-eabi-gcc
/home/ghhann/Programs/gcc-arm-none-eabi-9-2019-q4-major/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc

I get the following error when building the firmware for circuitplayground_express

ghhann@ghhann-PC:~/Programs/circuitpython/ports/atmel-samd$ make BOARD=circuitplayground_express
Use make V=1, make V=2 or set BUILD_VERBOSE similarly in your environment to increase build verbosity.
FREEZE ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_BusDevice ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_CircuitPlayground ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_HID ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_LIS3DH ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_NeoPixel ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_Thermistor
make: python: Command not found
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: missing argument to '-flto='
make: *** [Makefile:409: build-circuitplayground_express/firmware.elf] Error 1

create a symbolic link

ghhann@ghhann-PC:/usr/bin$ sudo ln /usr/bin/python3 python

Then test again

ghhann@ghhann-PC:~/Programs/circuitpython/ports/atmel-samd$ make BOARD=circuitplayground_express
Use make V=1, make V=2 or set BUILD_VERBOSE similarly in your environment to increase build verbosity.
FREEZE ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_BusDevice ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_CircuitPlayground ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_HID ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_LIS3DH ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_NeoPixel ../../frozen/Adafruit_CircuitPython_Thermistor

250336 bytes used, 3104 bytes free in flash firmware space out of 253440 bytes (247.5kB).
11392 bytes used, 21376 bytes free in ram for stack and heap out of 32768 bytes (32.0kB).

Converting to uf2, output size: 500736, start address: 0x2000
Wrote 500736 bytes to build-circuitplayground_express/firmware.uf2

And it should now work...

ghhann

Re: CP Build error make python command not found - Solved

by siddacious on Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:52 pm

Glad you got it sorted, thanks for sharing! I'm sure others will find this useful

siddacious

Re: CP Build error make python command not found - Solved

by danhalbert on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:24 pm

You can also do `sudo apt install python-is-python3`, which creates the link you are talking about, but does it in a controlled way, as a package.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.