🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

Matrix Portal, no USB serial devices
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Matrix Portal, no USB serial devices

by RichWebb on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:46 am

On the one hand, I do get a MATRIXBOOT drive with INFO_UF2.TXT
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
UF2 Bootloader v1.23.1-adafruit.1-328-gf06693a SFHWRO
Model: Matrix Portal M4
Board-ID: SAMD51J19A-MatrixPortal-v0

and can load CircuitPython by dropping adafruit-circuitpython-matrixportal_m4-en_US-6.0.0-rc.0.uf2 into it. Also, dropping the shipping Adabox 16 demo UF2 into MATRIXOOT behaves correctly, so it's mostly sane (I guess).

On the other hand, while in CircuitPython, the Win7 Device Manager shows a CircuitPython CDC Control device as "driver not installed" so Mu and TeraTerm etc can't find a serial device; only the hardware serial port is shown in Device Manager. Similarly, double-reset back to the boot device and there's a pair of Matrix Portal M4 devices, also with no driver installed, which may be the ports needed for the Arduino environment?

Tried uninstalling the Adafruit devices from the Control Panel app and reinstalling from adafruit_drivers_2.4.0.0.exe, no change, no drivers for those devices.

Even the standard windows troubleshooting technique of shutdown - reboot didn't work (although, contrary to myth, it rarely does ;-) so I'm stuck.

RichWebb

Re: Matrix Portal, no USB serial devices

by dastels on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:15 pm

dastels

by danhalbert on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:55 pm

The Windows 7 drivers are not yet updated for the MatrixPortal USB product ID, so I'll need to get on that.

danhalbert

by RichWebb on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:07 pm

danhalbert wrote:The Windows 7 drivers are not yet updated for the MatrixPortal USB product ID, so I'll need to get on that.

Aha! That makes sense. I poked around the "let me choose which driver to install" choices for matching PIDs and didn't find any.

I really need to upgrade the development laptop to Win10 one of these days. Hesitating out of concern about nuking installed licenses but it's not going to get any easier...

RichWebb

by danhalbert on Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:31 pm

I just updated the drivers, so it should work (but I didn't test with a MatrixPortal, only QT Py).

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... ag/2.5.0.0

I would strongly encourage you to upgrade. This may be of interest if you haven't seen it already:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how ... 0-upgrade/

danhalbert

by RichWebb on Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:33 pm

Thanks! I'll give the new drivers a whirl in the morning (The Blessed Cat informs me that it's time to turn out the lights).

I have finally gotten a new Lenovo with Win10 Pro and am slowly migrating over to it. Not altogether happy with Microsoft's built-in back doors etc but that's something that must be put up with, I guess. Once the new one is stable, the old will become a Linux box.

Stay safe! Wear yer mask!

RichWebb

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.