🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

Beginner issues with bootloader
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Beginner issues with bootloader

by seidler on Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:53 am

I have a new ardiono MKR ZERO and I want to use CircuitPython. I'm using windows 10. I'm trying to follow the instructions https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... cuitpython to install the UF2 bootloader. When I double-press RST I can see the COM part change to "MKRZERO bootloader" but, unlike in the instructions, I don't get a 'BOOT' drive where I can drag the UF2 file. Any ideas? I'd rather not go through the hassle of BOSSAC if it can be avoided.
With thanks!

seidler

Re: Beginner issues with bootloader

by mikeysklar on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:54 pm

@seidler,

I think our 'BOOT' naming convention might be out of date. Can you try following through the procedure as if the 'MKRZERO bootloader' is the 'BOOT' drive. Let me know if you have issues. We probably need to update our guide page.

mikeysklar

by seidler on Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. There was no USB drive available at all. I had to use BOSSAC to install the .BIN file, following the instructions on the website. After that there was a USB drive shown with the correct name for circuit python and everything has been working fine. I quite like being able to use Python for this.

seidler

by seidler on Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:55 am

OK, I'm still confused. Is it indeed the case that I just need the .bin bootloader installed via BOSSAC, or now that it is working do I now also need to install the UF2 bootloader (which I can't seem to do on the MKR ZERO)?

seidler

by mikeysklar on Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:12 pm

You are correct that the .BIN is just for BOSSAC (and probably other more obscure utilities to get the bootloader onto your board).

The .UF2 you should be able to use now that you have a mounted drive coming up. When you double-click reset now that you completed the first BOSSAC based bootloader update can you see the correct MKRZEROBOOT drive (or some near equivalent name)? It is not something you need to do immediately since your CircuitPython and BOOTLOADER are up to date from the BOSSAC CircuitPython .BIN file you installed. Going forward on our next CircuitPython release you would want to try and just do a single UF2 CircuitPython based update through the drag and drop method.

If you are not getting a different mounted drive name when double-resetting your way into bootloader mode on your MKRZERO then stick with BOSSAC and BIN files for updates.

mikeysklar

by mikeysklar on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:23 pm

@seidler,

I heard from Dan Halbert (our bootloader guru). He had some clarification in regards to bootloaders, UF2 and BINs.

nstalling just CircuitPython via bossac will not allow CircuitPyton
UF2's to be used later, because CPy doesn't come with its own
bootloader. The user would have to update the bootloader with the UF2
bootloader.

I'm not sure I would recommend that, because if it goes wrong the board
will be bricked, and recoverable only via a J-Link or similar. If the
user is willing to continue using the .BIN's, that is fine.

https://github.com/adafruit/uf2-samdx1/ ... 3.11.0.ino

so maybe just stick with the BINs...

mikeysklar

by seidler on Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Sounds good, I'll stick with the .bin file.

seidler

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.