Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

MAGTAG E-INK issue
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

MAGTAG E-INK issue

by tekmunki on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:24 am

Hello, I just received my MagTag last night and got CircuitPython loaded and running. Everything has been very easy but there is a vertical line in the E-Ink display that was visible since opening the packaging. I was hoping it was just needing a few refreshes as the shipping was delayed a few days with UPS. But after letting it run for a few hours the line is still there. I've attached 2 photos showing how the line appears when the screen is mostly black and when it is mostly white.

Is my E-Ink defective can these be replaced or will I need to get a new board all together? I love the form factor and all the features but this line is driving my OCD crazy.

tekmunki

Re: MAGTAG E-INK issue

by dastels on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:52 am

I'd run the graphics demo and let it run for a while. I've had similar issues with eInk displays that went away after a while. Worth a try. If that doesn't fix it, report back and we'll take care of it for you.

Dave

dastels

by tekmunki on Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:56 am

Sounds good, by graphics demo do you mean the "Magtag_Slideshow" or was there another sketch I should run.

tekmunki

by dastels on Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:49 pm

I wasn't thinking MagTag specific. I usually use the GFX demo: lines and fils, and text, etc.

Dave

dastels

by tekmunki on Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:40 pm

So I've had it running a sketch that redraws the screen every 60 seconds with different bmp images that cover the entirety of the e-ink since your post and if anything the line seems to have gained a bit of contrast. What are the next steps to get this swapped out?

tekmunki

by dastels on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:07 pm

You made a valiant effort. Alas, to no avail.

Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread, your order number, and request the replacement of one MagTag.

dastels

by tekmunki on Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:17 pm

Thanks for the help, email sent.

tekmunki

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.