🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

Trouble Installing CircuitPython on Arduino MKR Zero
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Trouble Installing CircuitPython on Arduino MKR Zero

by LeKian on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:02 pm

(System: Windows 10 x64)

I am attempting to install CircuitPython on an Arduino MKR Zero using the instructions from Adafruit. I attempted to use BOSSA (NB: I did not brick the Arduino by forgetting the offset) to flash the appropriate bootloader bin after double-clicking reset to put it into the bootloader mode, which appeared to succeed, with BOSSA flashing and verifying the bootloader.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
C:\Program Files (x86)\BOSSA>bossac -p COM5 -e -w -v -R --offset=0x2000 adafruit-circuitpython-arduino_mkrzero-en_US-5.3.1.bin
Erase flash

Done in 0.687 seconds
Write 185652 bytes to flash (2901 pages)
[==============================] 100% (2901/2901 pages)
Done in 1.300 seconds
Verify 185652 bytes of flash
[==============================] 100% (2901/2901 pages)
Verify successful
Done in 7.595 seconds

I noticed that there was no mention of "CPU reset", which is the last line in the sample output listed in the instructions. No CircuitPython drive appears, and the Arduino IDE C++ code still uploads to the Arduino and works.
I noticed while going back through the instructions that on some Arduinos, you need to use the Arduino IDE to burn a different Arduino bootloader before you can use BOSSA, so I attempted that and got this error:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-gf0767a31 (2018-06-11-13:36)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
   http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
debug_level: 2
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
none separate
adapter speed: 400 kHz
cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Error: unable to find CMSIS-DAP device

Error while burning bootloader.

I tried a few different settings, and tried double-resetting to put it into bootloader mode and doing it while not in bootloader mode and got the same error every time. The Arduino still functions, as the C++ code can be uploaded and functions. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong here?

LeKian

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.