🎁📬❄️📦 Holiday Shipping Deadlines are approaching! International customers and domestic ground - get your orders in 12/9/2020 📦❄️📬🎁

RGB matrix doesn't work when using CP
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RGB matrix doesn't work when using CP

by winterminute on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:32 pm

Posting in this sub-forum as it sounds like a problem with CP not the board or the display.

I had the matrix portal working fine under Circuit Python. However, the display stopped updating after a couple of days. The board is still working fine (as confirmed via serial port). If I switch back to the red sand demo (running Arduino) then the display works just fine so I know the display is working. I've tried both version of CP: 6.0 and 6.1 beta and neither work. I've reset the CP storage so it's completely stock with the default "Hello World!" code.py file.

Is anyone else having this issue?

dastels suggested filing an Github issue but I feel like I should do some more due diligence. Is there any enhanced debugging I can turn on to figure out what might be happening?

winterminute

Re: RGB matrix doesn't work when using CP

by tannewt on Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:12 pm

What version were you using originally? Did it stop working when you upgraded? It seems weird that it works in Arduino but not CP.

tannewt

by winterminute on Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 pm

After some more troubleshooting, I realized the display is working fine using CP if I load one of the example programs. The problem I'm hitting is that from time to time, I don't see the usual "Use CTRL-D to reload." with the CP logo. In the early days of my project I wasn't trying to display anything so when this went away I thought something was broken. So my question is when should I see this prompt and when shouldn't I?

1.jpg
1.jpg (388.34 KiB) Viewed 46 times

winterminute

by tannewt on Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:47 pm

The prompt will only show after code that initializes the display finishes. We don't auto-initialize the display because we don't know which matrix is connected.

tannewt

by winterminute on Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:59 pm

Ahh, got it. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info.

winterminute

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.