magtag won't connect to USB

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
danhalbert

Re: magtag won't connect to USB

Post by danhalbert »

Thank you for your patience while we worked through the possibilities!

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

A staff member said he found it was easy not to quite plug in the USB-C plug all the way and get erratic contact. I assume you are pushing it in firmly but just wanted to check.

porgus

Post by porgus »

Not super familiar with USB-C, but it only goes in up to the purple line in the attached photo.

Plugging it in I don't quite get a firm or solid-feeling connection - It's a little wobbly while inserted (with both USB-Cs I have)
Attachments
20201229_163411.jpg
20201229_163411.jpg (413.73 KiB) Viewed 83 times

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Mine wobbles a bit but doesn't have a bad connection. So I think that confirms it needs to be replaced. Thanks for the extra check -- it will help when we help other people.

sashaT

Post by sashaT »

porgus wrote:Thank you for your reply - I just plugged it into my work laptop that uses Windows 10 and it seems to be working fine.

None of the random disconnects, the reset button works as it should, etc.!

I also took a close look with a 17x loupe and the USB-C port looks to be well-connected (to my untrained eye, at least)

Do you have any recommendations for how I could get this level of connectivity on OSX? I've been delaying the update to Big Sur - would you think that might help?
Don't update to Big Sur! People have had problems with it Magtag, hardware issues etc.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

sashaT wrote: Don't update to Big Sur! People have had problems with it Magtag, hardware issues etc.
I'm on Big Sur and haven't had any problems. I don't expect it to fix USB issues though. (The MagTag should work fine on older versions too.)

porgus

Post by porgus »

Just wanted to post an update - received the replacement MagTag a while back, it's been performing as expected. love it very much!

thank you for your kind and careful assistance.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Thanks for the followup! This was an unusual problem, but it's very useful to know it's possible.

ATlwcb

Post by ATlwcb »

I'm having the same issue as this other user. I have 2 different Magtag's and have tried connecting each to two different macs - a laptop and a desktop. Nothing is showing up on my desktop. Have tried multiple ports. Using the data cable purchased from adafruit to go with the MagTag. On Mac OS 10.14.4.

Very frustrating.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

ATlwcb:

Please start a new thread, because it could be a different problem. In your new thread, describe whether you've tried to load software on either MagTag, and whether you've done so by holding down the boot button while pressing reset, etc.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”