Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

magtag won't connect to USB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

magtag won't connect to USB

by porgus on Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:16 pm

I opened my magtag from the recent AdaBox, and it is very poor at connecting via USB. i have been able to connect a few times, but it won't connect at all now. i thought it was my cable, but i bought a new data-friendly USB-C cable and it still won't connect.

I'm using OSX and have reinstalled circuit py and also wiped the filesystem to no avail. Any advice?

for to mention, i've not had trouble connecting with my previous circuitpy device (the previous Adabox)

porgus

Re: magtag won't connect to USB

by sashaT on Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:33 pm

What OS are you running?

sashaT

by porgus on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:20 am

OSX 10.11.6

also of note, when (if) i can get it connected, it will disconnect if i move or touch the device...

porgus

by danhalbert on Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 am

This sounds like a mechanical problem with the USB connector. Could you take a close-up picture of the USB-connector area of the back side of the board, with your cable plugged in? Make sure it is well-lit and in focus. Thanks.

danhalbert

by porgus on Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:09 pm

thanks - attached here. charge blinks a little then stops (battery is disconnected though)
Attachments
20201227_140518.jpg
20201227_140518.jpg (530.71 KiB) Viewed 158 times

porgus

by danhalbert on Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:39 pm

This sounds like a hardware problem. To confirm that, do you have any other computer you could try this on to replicate the problem? Even a Raspberry Pi would be fine to try. Perhaps one of the contact fingers in the USB-C socket got damaged. You could take a look with a magnifier. (I'm not suggesting you need to try to fix it.)

danhalbert

by porgus on Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:39 pm

Thank you for your reply - I just plugged it into my work laptop that uses Windows 10 and it seems to be working fine.

None of the random disconnects, the reset button works as it should, etc.!

I also took a close look with a 17x loupe and the USB-C port looks to be well-connected (to my untrained eye, at least)

Do you have any recommendations for how I could get this level of connectivity on OSX? I've been delaying the update to Big Sur - would you think that might help?

porgus

by danhalbert on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:05 pm

What is the exact way you are doing connection between the Mac and the MagTag? Is it USB-C to USB-C direct, USB-A to USB-C direct, or is there a hub or other adapter in between?

I do not think this is a software issue. We have had many people use the MagTag with a Mac successfully.

danhalbert

by porgus on Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:31 pm

Gotcha - I'm using USB-A to USB-C (same cable on both systems).

I have been playing with things a little bit more on both systems. When I plug in the device to my MacBook Pro, it will connect, but when I move the MagTag or touch it slightly, it will disconnect. The USB port on the MacBook is clean and other devices don't disconnect when moved.

I appreciate all your helpful input so far and hope there's a fix or something I can do to get it to work.

porgus

by danhalbert on Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:28 pm

porgus wrote:When I plug in the device to my MacBook Pro, it will connect, but when I move the MagTag or touch it slightly, it will disconnect.

Is there more than one port to try on the MacBook Pro? If so, do they both act like this? Maybe one is just mechanically flaky. You could try taping down the cord between the MagTag and the MacBook Pro to see if it's because you're pulling slightly on the cord.

If not, does it make a difference whether the MacBook Pro is plugged into AC or not?

danhalbert

by porgus on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Thanks - Tried this stuff out after work. MacBook has two USB ports, both both exhibit the same behavior.

I taped the USB cable down. When plugged in, touching the cable near the laptop doesn't change anything, but touching/moving the MagTag causes it to disconnect.

I tried holding the device in different ways, and it only disconnects when it's horizontal or if the USB-C is upside down. If i hold the MagTag with the USB-C directly up, it stays connected, even with some movement. Based on that, I tried holding the USB-C firmly to the MagTag, and it stays connected even with movement!

Not sure why one laptop is more finicky than the other, but it seems to be related to the USB-C port connection on the MagTag?

porgus

by danhalbert on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:59 pm

I wonder if the difference between the two laptops is a coincidence. Since the USB-C cable can be turned upside down, it may have to do with which side is plugged in. You could try turning it around and trying that on both laptops.

danhalbert

by porgus on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:13 pm

Thanks - I think you're right about the difference between the laptops being irrelevant.

Went back to the Windows laptop and it's acting the same - stays connected if I hold the USB-C steady, but disconnects if moved slightly. I think I was too eager to see a difference when I first tried it out.

Also tried rotating the USB-C without a difference (on both)

Thanks for your patience and attention to detail - what should I do?

porgus

by danhalbert on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:32 pm

If you see the same thing with both USB cables, then the problem is the board. You could try the other cable, and if it's still an issue, send a message to support@adafruit.com with a pointer to this thread and say that you have been authorized to receive a replacement MagTag, product 4800.

danhalbert

by porgus on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:50 pm

Confirmed with another USB cable on both - many thanks for your time!

porgus

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.