Relegendable keycaps

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JohnHind

Relegendable keycaps

Post by JohnHind »

Dear LadyAda,

Please could you consider stocking relegendable Cherry keycaps?

I recon that there is going to be a boom in makers making Streamdeck-style macro keypads using Raspberry Pi Pico chips and CircuitPython. These are much more attractive if you can design custom legends on a computer and have them made into keycaps. I hoped it would be possible to make double-shot keycaps on a 3-D printer, but I've not seen a good example of that and suspect the resolution is just not good enough even on professional printers that could be offered as a service similar to low volume PCB services. The next best thing would be inkjet printed legends inserted in relegendable keycaps such as these:

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-relegend ... ack-of-10/

But these are crazy difficult to source in a retail friendly format particularly outside the US. The few I have were obtained through a Drop.com drop, but these are only periodically available at very long lead times.

I believe AdaFruit is in a unique position to add a lot of value by stocking these, leveraging volume to get reasonable prices and putting a service surround in place (templates for printing in common formats, detailed project guides etc.)

What do you think?

Best regards, John.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Relegendable keycaps

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will forward it to the products team.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

bibulb

Post by bibulb »

What are the dimensions for the paper inlay that would go in between? I need to make an Illustrator (or whatever) template…

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Squares 17/32" x 17/32" work good. Added that info and and an example template you can download here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/macropad-2fa ... 3099940-20

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”