Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Cicuitpython Built & loaded.. no usb connectivity
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cicuitpython Built & loaded.. no usb connectivity

by GMDII on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:03 pm

So i have successfully built my own custom Circuitpython firmware following the tutorial. https://learn.adafruit.com/building-circuitpython/build-circuitpython

I have loaded the firmware.bin onto my custom board using an Atmel-ICE programmer. I have set the boot flag to 8k.

According to the tutorial I should either have a drive pop up or I should at least have USB serial comms.

I have neither. my computer does not see my device at all.

I am using SAMD51P20A. Same chip on the Grand Central.

this is really frustrating.

GMDII

Re: Cicuitpython Built & loaded.. no usb connectivity

by tannewt on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:08 pm

Did you design and assemble your whole board? Perhaps the USB connection is physically broken.

tannewt

by GMDII on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:59 pm

I have electrically (continuity tested), Physically (under microscope), and theoretically (by datasheet to ensure DP is connected to DP and DM to DM) checked every aspect of the usb connector to ATSAMD51P20A.

There has to be something in the firmware that is causing something. perhaps a flag needs to be set.

the hunt continues.

ATSAMD51P20A_USB.jpg
ATSAMD51P20A_USB.jpg (651.95 KiB) Viewed 41 times

GMDII

by GMDII on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:56 pm

SUCCESS !! I am quite proud of myself too actually.. although it is my own fault.

Granted and i am very new to Atmel chips, bootloaders, and circuitpython. I knew it was going to be a challenge. but finally today I have a working bootloader.

And that was my problem. I had to create a specific bootloader for my board. I missed that step and I was trying to write the Circuitpython binary file directly to my board with the Atmel-ICE.

Now that my board shows up as a drive I can load up and test my circuitpython.uf2 build.

OH HAPPY DAY !!!

GMDII

by tannewt on Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:39 pm

Congrats! Trying other software is always a good way to determine which is the culprit.

tannewt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.