Feather M4 drive issues; windows sees it as a keyboard
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather M4 drive issues; windows sees it as a keyboard

by JoshBuildsRobots on Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:08 pm

I took it out of the packaging and tested to make sure it worked. I had both Circuitpy and FEATHERBOOT drives show up. Soldered the pin headers on, and have had nothing but issues. Originally, I had to learn the learn the 3 modes being boot loader, safe mode, and the active mode where the code actually runs. Occasionally, it will take between 30 seconds to a few minutes to boot into what I've dubbed the "active mode." However, it wasn't showing up in file explorer. After searching around, I found that windows recognizes it as a keyboard which is really weird. I've discovered that I can still read and write serial info, so I downloaded Mu to get to the circuit python REPL, and tried importing storage to do a storage.erase; nothing. Tried importing microcontroller to force it into boot loader and maybe knock some sense into it; nothin. Device Manager shows that it can have storage, but it's grayed out and I'm unable to click into it. It's recognized as COM6, so I tried loading the bare minimum arduino sketch, that doesn't work either. It resets just before the sketch is finished uploading, which is unlike the arduinos which reset right after, so the arduino IDE no longer has access to the com port and doesn't know what to do.

Tried installing the adafruit drivers, didn't work. Tried uninstalling the adafruit drivers, but they aren't on my computer so I went and nuked everything that the drivers installed or anything that I didn't immediately need. Still not working.

I don't ***think*** I need an RMA. It looks like it's 85% of the way into working, since it has REPL. But the fact the boot drive isn't showing up and that windows views it as a keyboard is a problem that I want to repair ASAP. Any help is appreciated. Thanks <3
Attachments
Screenshot (3).png
Screenshot (3).png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 72 times
Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg (168.65 KiB) Viewed 72 times

JoshBuildsRobots

Re: Feather M4 drive issues; windows sees it as a keyboard

by JoshBuildsRobots on Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:47 pm

update: borrowed a laptop. When I plugged in the m4 express, windows set it up as a keyboard as well. Both are running windows 10, borrowing a friend's mac and will update again.

I don't believe it's a code problem. I never once wrote code to it besides the repl statements I mentioned in the previous post. Fingers crossed that it's a windows problem and i can update circuit py on the mac and this will fix the problem, but i wont hold my breath

JoshBuildsRobots

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:07 pm

Check your COM ports to see if the OS has a cached configuation for a keyboard.

USB devices have to identify themselves to the USB host, and list all the things they can do. That makes USB self-configuring, but the process is slow. All the major OSes save the config information so they can just look up the settings when they see the device connect again. On Windows, that information is saved as a COM port.

Old COM ports aren't always deleted when they should be, so you can end up with a bunch of hidden ones. This tutorial shows how to find and clear them:

https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-find-hidden-com-ports

adafruit_support_mike

by JoshBuildsRobots on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:31 pm

Thank you for responding. I disconnected the feather, followed the tutorial, and deleted everything except for com1 which if i recall is an internal thing for windows? Not 100% sure; doesn't really matter. I connected the feather m4, and it connected again as a keyboard. Both the default windows settings detects it alongside my keyboard and mouse, device manager recognizes it as com3, and devices and printers recognizes it as a keyboard.

It's not incredibly interesting that DM assigned it com3, since it was assigned as com6 last time, but the fact that DM sees it on a com port gives me hope.

JoshBuildsRobots

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:11 pm

Hmm.. does the board still mount normally when you connect it to a Mac?

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.