CPX vs FEATHER FOR MORE MEMORY

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
htmagic

CPX vs FEATHER FOR MORE MEMORY

Post by htmagic »

Hello folks!
Happy Cinco de Mayo!

My question today has to do with CPX vs Feather boards.
Thanks to you kind folks on this forum, you've helped me with a project where I'm using CircuitPython and a CPX/Crickit board to run 2 servos, a 8 LED neopixel strip, a 4 channel RC receiver, and audio. I have basically 4 different predictions.
Here's an early video of my project in operation: https://youtu.be/yvU4_mIAh2Q

So I have a 4 channel RC receiver triggering the CPX/Crickit through the I/O pins. I also have several audio .wav files.
I'm right at the limit of storage on the chip which I believe is 2 Meg for the CPX. The earlier Circuit Playgrounds don't have enough memory to store all the files.

So my question is, can a Feather/Crickit run the same things as mentioned above and does it have a larger storage area?
If so, what is the storage capacity on the board?

Thank you in advance for your review and response.
May the FORCE be with you and have a magical day!

MagicBill

danhalbert

Re: CPX vs FEATHER FOR MORE MEMORY

Post by danhalbert »

If you use a Feather RP2040, M4, nRF52840, or STM32F405, then they will have much more RAM than the CPX. You can compare the product specs and see which one you might like best. The Feather RP2040 has the most RAM.

A Circuit Playground Bluefruit would also have more RAM than the CPX, and would fit on your current Crickit board. You could experiment with Bluetooth control if you wanted to.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Sorry, someone pointed out that you were asking about CIRCUITPY size, not RAM. The Feather RP2040 has an 8MB instead of a 2MB on-board flash chip, so that would help a lot.

The Feather STM32F405 has an SD card slot on the bottom, so that's another alternative for more disk space. Or you could add an Adalogger Featherwing with an SD card holder: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2922.

htmagic

Post by htmagic »

Folks,

This weekend was crazy and I finally had a chance to review these answers.
Both are very informative.
I will keep these in mind.
Thank you for your responses.
May the FORCE be with you and have a magical day!

MagicBill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”