Loading circuitpython code using black magic probe?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
criznach_bms

Loading circuitpython code using black magic probe?

Post by criznach_bms »

Is it possible to load circuitpython code via swd using a black magic probe or similar? We're using a feather m0 express to handle pre-boot activities on a Linux sbc. They're connected by usb on our pcb. We can mount the circuitpython filesystem from Linux once booted, but we'd like to flash the python code before attempting to boot Linux. Looks like it might be possible but not a lot of info out there.

tannewt

Re: Loading circuitpython code using black magic probe?

Post by tannewt »

Yup! It should just work with a bin file. (I'm not sure we keep them but you can build one yourself.) Fresh chips will also need a bootloader but if you have a feather then you already a bootloader.

criznach_bms

Post by criznach_bms »

Thank you. Do I need to flash it to a particular start address? We're starting with feathers before moving to our own board with blank chips.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

IIRC the bootloader on the M0 is 8k so after that. I wouldn't recommend building new products with the SAMD21 unless you are expecting limited use cases. They are ram limited. Anything with more RAM will be a better CP host longer term.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”