CircuitPython 6.3.0 Released!

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
danhalbert

CircuitPython 6.3.0 Released!

Post by danhalbert »

This is CircuitPython 6.3.0, the latest minor revision of CircuitPython, and is a new stable release. Notable changes since 6.2.0 include many new boards, many corrections to existing boards, and the addition of a consistent board.LED to most boards. See Port status below for details on port stability for each port, and Known issues for known problems. If you find any issues with this release, please file an issue.

Download from circuitpython.org
Firmware downloads are available from the downloads page on circuitpython.org. The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board.

Installation
To install follow the instructions in our new Welcome to CircuitPython! guide. To install the latest libraries, see this page in that guide.

Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).

Port status
CircuitPython has a number of "ports" that are the core implementations for different microcontroller families. Stability varies on a per-port basis. As of this release, atmel-samd, cxd56 (Spresense), nrf, and stm for the F4 family are stable. esp32s2, raspberrypi, and stm for other STM chip families are being actively improved but may be missing functionality and have bugs. litex and mimxrt10xx are in an alpha state and will have bugs and missing functionality.

Changes since 6.2.0
The full commit log is here. Nearly all the changes in 6.3.0 were backported from the main branch and will be present in 7.0.0 releases.

Fixes and enhancements
  • Fix overwrite of run_reason. #4708. Thanks @hierophect.
  • Update frozen libraries. adafruit_hid is deliberately held at 4.3.0, instead of 5.0.0. Thanks @dhalbert.
  • Do not leave board.I2C() locked on soft reload. #4801. Thanks @dhalbert.
  • Fix GC problem in ulab. Fixes #4753. v923z/micropython-ulab#387. Thanks @v923z.
Port and board-specific changes
  • Add LED pin to many Adafruit boards. #4742. Thanks @kattni.
  • Correct pins for UM TinyS2. #4534. Thanks @UnexpectedMaker.
  • BDMicro VINA-D51 updates. #4561. Thanks @bd34n.
  • QT Py RP2040 D3 pin correction. #4581. Thanks @dhalbert.
  • STM32F4 Black Pill add flash chip. #4582. Thanks @kevinlutzer.
  • Turn storage back on for NeoPixel Trinkey. #4599. Thanks @dhalbert.-
  • Add VBUS_SENSE pin to Pi Pico. #4624. Thanks @dhalbert.
  • Fix board.I2C() pins for Feather M0 Adalogger. #4631. Thanks @anecdata.
  • Adafruit ItsyBitsy RP2040 corrections. #4687. Thanks @kattni.
  • Fix crystal settings for Espruino Pico. #4719. Thanks @hierophect.-
  • Fix pins on SparkFun Pro Micro RP2040. #4733. Thanks @nm3210.
  • Free up PA00 and PA01 on Big Honking Button. #4735. Thanks @bleything.
  • Fix FunHouse name. #4736. Thanks @Neradoc.
  • Fix overwrite of run_reason. #4708. Thanks @hierophect.
  • Update SparkFun ThingPlus RP2040 pins. #4691. Thanks @nm3210.
  • Fix SparkFun MicroMod RP2040 pins. #4663. Thanks @zapwizard.
  • Lengthen crystal oscillator startup time on RP2040. adafruit/pico-sdk#4. Thanks @dhalbert.
New boards
  • Adafruit NeoKey Trinkey. #4595. Thanks @ladyada.
  • Adafruit ProxLight Trinkey. #4594. Thanks @ladyada.
  • Adafruit Rotary Trinkey. #4594. Thanks @ladyada.
  • Adafruit Slide Trinkey. #4595. Thanks @ladyada.
  • Adafruit QT RP2040 Trinkey. #4750. Thanks @ladyada.
  • ARAMCON2 Badge. #4627. Thanks @bmeisels.
  • Arduino Nano RP2040. #4802. Thanks @BlitzCityDIY.
  • BDMicro VINA-D51 updates. #4561. Thanks @bd34n.
  • HunterCat NFC board. #4545. Thanks @sabas1080
  • Pimoroni Pico LiPo 4MB. #4612, #4633. Thanks @ZodiusInfuser.
  • Pimoroni Pico LiPo 16MB. #4612, #4633. Thanks @ZodiusInfuser.
  • SparkFun MicroMod RP2040. #4625. Thanks @stonehippo.
Documentation
  • Remove robots.txt from ReadTheDocs. #4584. Thanks @dhalbert.
Build and infrastructure changes
(None in this release)

Translation additions and improvements
(None in this release)

Breaking changes since 5.x
  • i2cslave is now i2cperipheral and the class in it is changed as well.
  • The stop kwarg has been removed from I2C.writeto(). If no stop is desired, then use writeto_then_readfrom.
  • The default speed of busio.I2C and board.I2C is now 100khz, not 400khz as before. Use busio.I2C to set the speed explicitly.
  • _bleio.ConnectionError has been removed. Code will now raise the native ConnectionError instead.
Known issues Thanks
Thank you to all who used, tested, and contributed since 6.2.0, including the contributors above, and many others on GitHub and Discord. Join us on the Discord chat to collaborate.

Documentation
Documentation is available in readthedocs.io.

This release is based on MicroPython 1.9.4 @25ae98f. Support upstream MicroPython by purchasing a PyBoard (from Adafruit here) or sponsoring MicroPython on GitHub.

Download from circuitpython.org
Firmware downloads are available from the downloads page on circuitpython.org. The site makes it easy to select the correct file and language for your board.

Installation
To install follow the instructions in our new Welcome to CircuitPython! guide. To install the latest libraries, see this page in that guide.

Try the latest version of the Mu editor for creating and editing your CircuitPython programs and for easy access to the CircuitPython serial connection (the REPL).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”