can't install Mu-Editor, suggestions for alternative?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WWJD

can't install Mu-Editor, suggestions for alternative?

Post by WWJD »

On my main Linux Mint 19.3 system, Mu-Editor cannot be installed.
Is there a good alternative for this editor?

I want to learn CircuitPython after a few years of C++ programming (and making fun projects)

(BTW: I'm used to VSCODE with PlatformIO for C++ and I am aware of the CircuitPython extension but that one is not supported anymore and the last reviews are not good so I didn't try it.)

Thanks for any help!

Franklin97355

Re: can't install Mu-Editor, suggestions for alternative?

Post by Franklin97355 »

You might look at Atom, Komodo Edit, and Sublime Text. They are available for Linux and Windows.

WWJD

Post by WWJD »

Thank you, will try that!

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

You can use VS Code without an extension. Just open the python files in it directly. You can use screen to connect to the serial output.

sermann

Post by sermann »

WWJD wrote: (BTW: I'm used to VSCODE with PlatformIO for C++ and I am aware of the CircuitPython extension but that one is not supported anymore and the last reviews are not good so I didn't try it.)
For what it is worth, the CircuitPython extension in VSCODE works well for me and is by far my favorite IDE for Adafruit CP boards. It is the only one that includes awesome source code handling, Git/Github support, REPL and built-in libraries management.

I've had issues recently where Python language support would not load in VSC, preventing the CircuitPython extension from loading. That was an VSC issue that presented itself as a CircuitPython extension.

It is true that the author, Joe De Vivo hasn't posted or updated anything since May, so he might have lost interest, or has just been busy.

I would still give it a try.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Stephen

wildestpixel

Post by wildestpixel »

I think the lack of any update is possibly due to a lack a of a need for an update at present - VSC updates haven't at the moment broken the capability of the extensions, which is where most of the extension updates have come from (along with M1 support for newer Macs).

If you get it working in VSCode, set VSCode to not automatically update and also the extension not to update and you will be well set.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”