Anyone DIY'd a capacitive proximity sensor for CP?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
burrito_poots

Anyone DIY'd a capacitive proximity sensor for CP?

Post by burrito_poots »

Hey Gang,

As the title says, I'm trying to utilize a capacitive proximity sensor in an important project, but I haven't seen these used or offered in the shop -- is it possible to utilize these with Circuit Python and if so:
  • • How would I do that from a code standpoint?
    • What type of specs would I need to adhere to for choosing the right sensor?
Thanks!

MarksBench

Re: Anyone DIY'd a capacitive proximity sensor for CP?

Post by MarksBench »

Hello!

The only ones I've used act like a switch, they're either high or low. If that's the case, you can just check the pin you hook it up to. Nice and simple.

It's difficult to say what specs you'll need - are you trying to detect something small and close like a finger tap? Or something larger and/or farther away?

burrito_poots

Post by burrito_poots »

MarksBench wrote:Hello!

The only ones I've used act like a switch, they're either high or low. If that's the case, you can just check the pin you hook it up to. Nice and simple.

It's difficult to say what specs you'll need - are you trying to detect something small and close like a finger tap? Or something larger and/or farther away?
Relatively close range: 1/4" or so give or take, but can move this down further. Theres no issue powering these type of sensors from a featherboard I take it?

MarksBench

Post by MarksBench »

Little cap touch sensors like this take very little power:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1374

It's direct touch but it says that you can solder a wire onto it to make your own pad for it if you'd like.

burrito_poots

Post by burrito_poots »

MarksBench wrote:Little cap touch sensors like this take very little power:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1374

It's direct touch but it says that you can solder a wire onto it to make your own pad for it if you'd like.
unfortunately I'm using this in a wet environment, and the "no touch detection" of the sensors I linked to really work for my scenario :(

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”