I'm stuck trying to use a TFT screen with custom fonts and b

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WWJD

I'm stuck trying to use a TFT screen with custom fonts and b

Post by WWJD »

Coming from C++ and eager to learn CircuitPython I bought a Circuit Playground Bluefruit, BME280 sensor and 1,44" TFT display from Adafruit and jumped into the tutorials...
It's fun UNTIL I decided to get the TFT working because I want to convert my C++ based Bathroom Fan Controller to CircuitPython.

But there the fun ended... TFT stuff in CircuitPython is (for me anyway) so incredibly complicated compared to C++? I simply want to use custom fonts and a few bitmaps?

I really don't know were to start... Sure, I tried and got some text displayed on the TFT but when I searched for custom font I got lost.
Instead of simply downloading some .bdf fonts I had to install some weird stuff via the Terminal?? result were a load of errors.

I want NOT to give up on CircuitPython because it's THE way to go I think so can anybody please point me in the right direction and bring the fun back?

Franklin97355

Re: I'm stuck trying to use a TFT screen with custom fonts a

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll see if the author can help.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we have a few good tutorials on GUI design. its *different* than C++ but there are some nice things about how circuitpython does things
https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=displayio

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Instead of simply downloading some .bdf fonts I had to install some weird stuff via the Terminal?? result were a load of errors.
If this is still happening even after following the guides, please provide more info. What was the weird stuff and what was the complete text of the error messages?

WWJD

Post by WWJD »

I want to thank you for you replies... very much appreciated.

But after days of searching, reading the suggested tutorials etc, I decided to stay with C++
I'm not a trained programmer so for me it's hard to go the route of trial and error again.

I learned a lot of other projects but there are only a handful CP project to learn from so I quit... sadly.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

thats why we provide both python and C libraries for (just about) every product :) we use both too!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”