Not enough space in CIRCUITPY

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vijshar

Not enough space in CIRCUITPY

Post by vijshar »

When I try to copy the lib folder downloaded from the CIRCUITPY website, it says that there is not enough space on the disk. I have tried deleting some libraries but it still doesn't work. I am using MAC OS and I've removed the hidden files which MAC OS creates but no luck so far. Does anyone know how to get around this problem?

dastels

Re: Not enough space in CIRCUITPY

Post by dastels »

Only copy the libraries/modules you need for your project. Project guides will provide a list of what you need. Everything won't fit and most projects only need a handful of them.

Dave

jwinslade

Post by jwinslade »

I just installed CircuitPython on a Feather MO Basic and it is working, in that blink.py and a few basic bit-banging trivial programs run fine.

However, the space that appears to be available for the CIRCUITPY filesystem is absurdly small. Like 48k or so.

No libraries or examples loaded, just a few trivial .py programs.

TFM says the board has 256k of flash.

When I double-click reset to mount the FEATHERBOOT file system, it shows plenty of space.

I did follow the steps for reformatting the CIRCUITPY file system, but still, very little available space.

Is there a fix or a work-around or is this just a limitation of that device? Or am I SOL here?

TIA

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

The 48k for the CIRCUITPY drive is correct. 192k of the 256k is used for the CircuitPython runtime itself.

The BOOT drive is lying to you because it doesn't actually live in flash. It just looks for special writes of UF2 files and copies that data to the flash.

I recommend a newer board with something besides a SAMD21. It'll have more flash and RAM than the SAMD21.

jwinslade

Post by jwinslade »

Thanks.

I'll just overwrite it and use that board with c/c++ as I have the newer RP2040 which I've been playing with CircuitPython on. I read that CircuitPython would run on the M0 Basic, and I guess it does, if you limit your creations to blinking a few LEDs and such, I guess.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Yup, the M0 basic predates CircuitPython so it's pretty limited. The M0 Express has the extra flash to use the 64k of internal flash for more functionality. RP2040 will be better than either M0 board.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”