MacroPad RP2040 arrived with a non-functional reset button

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Protoclown

MacroPad RP2040 arrived with a non-functional reset button

Post by Protoclown »

Hello- I recently ordered a MacroPad RP2040. I put it together and everything seemed fine (button pad and screen worked), but when I went to flash it, I realized the reset button (which was mounted slightly crooked) did not appear to be working since it never responded to the flash. I'm not sure if the reset button registers on the screen or not but it didn't on mine.

On closer inspection, it appears that the crooked mounting of the reset button prevented it from making contact with all of the pads:
crooked reset button.png
crooked reset button.png (772.93 KiB) Viewed 52 times
I'm considering taking a stab at re-soldering this myself, but on the off chance that I screw it up or discover that the button is defective, I don't want to void my (presumed?) option to have it replaced as defective by messing with it. Can I attempt a fix and then opt for replacement if it doesn't work and/or I screw up some other aspect of it? I'm a little worried about overheating the OLED on the other side of the board.

Thanks!

dastels

Re: MacroPad RP2040 arrived with a non-functional reset butt

Post by dastels »

From the photo, you are completely correct. This is a pick&place/fab glitch. Your suggested course of action is good as well. If you can solder it on, you can avoid the wait for a new unit to be shipped.

Let me know how it works out.

Dave

Protoclown

Re: MacroPad RP2040 arrived with a non-functional reset butt

Post by Protoclown »

Just chiming in to say that I was able to successfully solder the switch back on, and things now seem to be working well.
Thanks again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”