Select one of MCP2221 connected

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dnwklin

Select one of MCP2221 connected

Post by dnwklin »

I have the adafruit MCP2221 board that I want to use with CircuitPython. However, other devices I used with my computer also has MCP2221 in them. How do I tell CircuitPython I want to talk to Adafruit's MCP2221 not my other device?

I ask this because my python script now getting errors:
self._hid.open(MCP2221.VID, MCP2221.PID)
File "hid.pyx", line 68, in hid.device.open
OSError: open failed

Additional Information
>>> hid.enumerate()
[{'path': b'0001:0013:02', 'vendor_id': 1240, 'product_id': 221, 'serial_number': '', 'release_number': 256, 'manufacturer_string': 'Microchip Technology Inc.', 'product_string': 'MCP2221 USB-I2C/UART Combo', 'usage_page': 0, 'usage': 0, 'interface_number': 2}, {'path': b'0001:0003:03', 'vendor_id': 3468, 'product_id': 314, 'serial_number': '', 'release_number': 256, 'manufacturer_string': 'C-Media Electronics Inc. ', 'product_string': 'USB PnP Sound Device', 'usage_page': 0, 'usage': 0, 'interface_number': 3}, {'path': b'0001:0002:02', 'vendor_id': 1240, 'product_id': 221, 'serial_number': '', 'release_number': 256, 'manufacturer_string': 'Microchip Technology Inc.', 'product_string': 'MCP2221 USB-I2C/UART Combo', 'usage_page': 0, 'usage': 0, 'interface_number': 2}]

mikeysklar

Re: Select one of MCP2221 connected

Post by mikeysklar »

So you have two MCP2221's connected to a PC (lin/win/mac) using the USB-C connector and CircuitPython cannot differentiate?

I looked through the Adafruit_Blinka github repo and did not see a way to specificy more than one board.

I think this would be a good time for you to open a request for supporting multiple MCP2221's. Seems reasonable.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Blinka/issues

dnwklin

Re: Select one of MCP2221 connected

Post by dnwklin »

mikeysklar wrote:So you have two MCP2221's connected to a PC (lin/win/mac) using the USB-C connector and CircuitPython cannot differentiate?

I looked through the Adafruit_Blinka github repo and did not see a way to specificy more than one board.

I think this would be a good time for you to open a request for supporting multiple MCP2221's. Seems reasonable.

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Blinka/issues

Yes. CircuitPython doesn't seem to be able to differentiate them. Since I am using it on a Proxmox VM host. One of the MCP2221 is assigned to VM client. It would be natural that CircuitPython can't open it thus giving me the error. I can't say for sure this is what happens. But I'm guessing this is what happened based on anecdotal evidence.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”