Fun House Board fails to connect to Mac OS X 10.5.7

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rickondrums

Fun House Board fails to connect to Mac OS X 10.5.7

Post by Rickondrums »

Fun House Dev Board not recognised by Max OS X Catalina computer. I have made use of a USB C to USB C cable (from portable SSD drive) and also a data cable USBA to USB C , and board will not show in Finder, when going into boot mode.

on enquiring in terminal; /dev/cu.usbmodem*
zsh: permission denied: /dev/cu.usbmodem01

It is that classic beginners block..... I canny get started. Would appreciate assistance. Project is to integrate SCD-30 CO2 monitor with Fun House Board. Thanks in advance.

tannewt

Re: Fun House Board fails to connect to Mac OS X 10.5.7

Post by tannewt »

What is the device doing at this point? Is there any way you know you are in boot mode?

Rickondrums

Post by Rickondrums »

Thank-you for coming back to my enquiry. Connecting FunHouse (via USB A to USB C and power on.... Brings up the FunHouse Test, and all seems A OK. Depressing the small BOOT button on the rear of the device, and keeping the button down, then additionally pressing and releasing the front panel RESET button, (and then removing the pressure from the BOOT button. This has the effect of blanking the screen on FunHouse. The 5 - Lights on the roof line are lit (Red Violet Blue Green Yellow). The only other light is the small Green LED on situated just above the ON/OFF slider switch. In OS X Finder no USB device appears in the Finder device menu at any time. Your comment makes me realise that I am probably not in Boot mode, but having read various guides, I have followed, (rightly or wrongly) what I thought was the way to enter boot mode. I should also inform that I have the COD module connected to I2C, and it does show a small pulsing light, around every two seconds. I have not managed to get past the initial connection as described above. Could use a Raspberry Pi instead, but I make use of Mac OS X a lot, so kind of keen to figure this out.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

ESP32-S2 is a bit tricky because it has two boot modes:

1) The ESP ROM bootloader that is entered by pressing reset when boot is held.
2) The UF2 (drag-and-drop) bootloader that is entered by double clicking reset.

I'd suggest trying to do 2 first following these instructions: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fun ... cuitpython

When you are in that mode, you'll see a diagram on the screen and there should be a USB drive ending in BOOT.

If that doesn't work, then you can do 1 and these instructions to reinstall 2: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fun ... bootloader

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”