Funhouse and audioio

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fid

Funhouse and audioio

Post by fid »

I am attempting to play a wave file on the Funhouse using CircuitPython. I downloaded 'adafruit-circuitpython-bundle-7.x-mpy-20211024' and cannot find audioio in the lib folder.
When including import audioio I am told that the module doesn't exist. I figure I have to copy it into the directory structure or Funhouse before I can continue.
Is there something like audio.play(wavfile) or play_wav(wavfile)? Importing adafruit_funhouse in the REPL allowed me to find play_tone buried deeply using the dir() command.
play_tone works well enough to pester the other people in the room while I am testing code. :-D I would rather play a wav file to keep from being told to stop that noise.

kattni

Re: Funhouse and audioio

Post by kattni »

Hello! You're looking for audiocore. https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en ... e.WaveFile

Hope this helps! Post here again if you're having issues figuring out how to use it.

fid

Post by fid »

Hi kattni,
Thank you. I'll give it a go. The included example still asks for import audioio. Perhaps I can find what is needed in audiocore. I keep grinding away while the laundry is in the dryer.

kattni

Post by kattni »

I apologise - I have apparently steered you wrong. There isn't wav playback support on MagTag in CircuitPython. You're not missing anything, it's not there. It requires either audioio or audiopwmio.

I tried to do it myself, and failed. So, I ended up looking deeper into it to find this info.

There is an issue open on CircuitPython for it (https://github.com/adafruit/circuitpython/issues/3898). We tried to implement it but it was not a good experience - it was super glitchy. It hasn't been revisited yet.

fid

Post by fid »

Hi,
I am using Funhouse and now have gotten the speaker to pop and then pop again. It might be at the beginning of the wav and again at the end of the wav file.
I am scratching around with what goes in audiobusio.I2SOut(board.SCL, board.SPEAKER, board.SDA). The example says D1, D0 and D9. The class shows audiobusio.I2SOut(bit_clock: microcontroller.Pin, word_select: microcontroller.Pin, data: microcontroller.Pin, *, left_justified: bool). So I was guessing that it would be board.clock, board.something, and board.data.
If I use microcontroller.pin and see which GPIOs are available, I see GPIO zero through 46. I didn't use microcontroller because I am not sure what each pin does.
At least I am getting some sound out of the speaker.

Code: Select all

import board
import audiocore
import audiobusio
import digitalio

# Required for CircuitPlayground Express
#speaker_enable = digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.SPEAKER_ENABLE)
#speaker_enable.switch_to_output(value=True)

data = open("/sounds/intruder.wav", "rb")
wav = audiocore.WaveFile(data)
a = audiobusio.I2SOut(board.SCL, board.SPEAKER, board.SDA)

print("playing")
a.play(wav)
while a.playing:
  pass
print("stopped")
Thank you for the help. I appreciate it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”