RTOS for #CircuitPython2022

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mdroberts1243

RTOS for #CircuitPython2022

Post by mdroberts1243 »

I imagine CircuitPython becoming a very easy way to create serious IoT sensor nodes. CP, with Adafruit sensor breakouts, could be used to code the sensor logic.

What I would like to see in #CircuitPython2022 is the ability to work over an RTOS, like FreeRTOS or Zephyr, so that a proper communications stack could be implemented in the background, transparent to the user. This has been successful in ESP series but I'd like to see STM32 or Nordic chips support the same.

For a specific example, think of LoRaWAN. Most aspects of LoRaWAN can be implemented with open source, but the LoRaWAN stacks for microcontrollers are not compliant with LoRa Alliance and deliver a very poor user experience compared to what is possible with LoRaWAN. An underlying RTOS will support implementing a proper, certifiable, stack for LoRaWAN (from FOSS) that will enable the full LoRaWAN functionality.

tannewt

Re: RTOS for #CircuitPython2022

Post by tannewt »

Is there a LoRaWAN stack built on top of FreeRTOS? My bias is to go that direction. Zephyr is just so gigantic.

mdroberts1243

Post by mdroberts1243 »

I would consider starting with the STM32WL reference design. Based on FOSS FreeRTOS, the whole stack is published, although the licensing terms need to be looked at closely. https://www.st.com/resource/en/user_man ... ronics.pdf

One interesting thing about the STM32WL stack is they have a Modem AT command interface, so easy partitioning of the lower-level MAC/Link Layer stuff on RTOS with higher level packet functionality in CircuitPython so it could be adapted to the situation.

Semtech also publishes their stacks and commonly uses STM processors for their reference designs and external transceiver chips. Not sure about FreeRTOS in that case, but doable I'm sure.

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

Thanks for the info! I think we'd need to check the files themselves. The datasheet says "The middleware stacks LoRaWAN® and SubGHz_Phy made by Semtech and STMicroelectronics are distributed under a non-restrictive BSD (berkeley software distribution) license." It's a good lead for the long term.

I doubt any of us Adafruit-funded folks will work on STM32 though due to low chip availability.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”