New feather 2040 defective

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tagman31

New feather 2040 defective

Post by tagman31 »

Hi,

Ordered a new feather RP2040 and have been trying to flash micropython to it. Upon first power up, the neopixel lit and everything seemed fine. I held down the boot button and was able to copy micorpython to it through thonny. However, after the firmware file is transferred the feather rebooted and thonny couldn't find the port. No machines could see anything connected to the USB bus, Linux, Windows, OS X. To verify it wasn't anything with my config, I tried a known good RPi Pico and the same machines were able to flash mp and see the device once it rebooted.

I tried the flash nuke file and copying circuitpython to the feather, however as soon as the firmware file transfers the feather reboots and drops off the USB bus with no leds illuminated to speak of. When I hold down the bootsel button, I can get the drive to pop back up, but it's always blank except for the info files.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: New feather 2040 defective

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

[moved to the CircuitPython forum]

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

If you're copying micropython through Thonny, then you may be copying the micropython build for the RP2040 Pico, not for the Feather RP2040.

When you copy circuitpython, make sure you're copying the circutipython for the Feather RP2040, not the Raspberry Pi RP2040 Pico.

Eliminatus

Post by Eliminatus »

I am having the exact same problem with two new boards I just bought. Downloaded the latest specific Feather Micropython and still having the exact same response. Drag and drop to the bootloader, it will load up to 100% and then immediately boot out or rest the entire device. Sometimes it will read again immediately or other times I need to reset it to show up again in File explorer. Either way it pops back up with absolutely no change. Tried on four different computers with three different data cables. Tried it again on my official picos, no issues whatsoever (using their own .udf files of course).

Windows 10
ADAFRUIT_FEATHER_RP2040-20220117-v1.18 is the udf I am trying to use. Latest directly from Micropython.com

Any ideas? This is a time sensitive project based need for me. Thanks

Edit to Add: Ok. It is definitely a uf2 issue.

ADAFRUIT_FEATHER_RP2040-20220117-v1.18 does NOT work

adafruit-circuitpython-raspberry_pi_pico-en_US-7.2.0 does NOT work

adafruit-circuitpython-raspberry_pi_pico-en_US-7.2.5 Does NOT work

adafruit-circuitpython-adafruit_feather_rp2040-en_US-7.3.0-beta.0 DOES WORK.

So the beta version of 7.3 Circuitpython is the only uf2 that will load, boot and be recognized as a new device to work with on my machine. Unfortunately, I need Micropython and having trouble finding the old releases to try.
Just to update my only slightly desperate wild fixes and attempts at 330am.

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

@Eliminatus, you do know that when running MicroPython, there is no drive presented to the Operating System of the computer, right?

You need to connect via Thonny or Mu or some other IDE.

For both my pink and black Feather RP2040's I had to tell Thonny that they were MicroPython (Raspberry Pi Pico), NOT Micropython (generic) to get it to talk to them.

Your explanation is confusing to me.

You say:
Drag and drop to the bootloader, it will load up to 100% and then immediately boot out or rest the entire device. Sometimes it will read again immediately or other times I need to reset it to show up again in File explorer. Either way it pops back up with absolutely no change.
When I drag and drop ADAFRUIT_FEATHER_RP2040-20220117-v1.18.uf2 (.uf2, not .udf) onto the RPI-RP2 drive in File Explorer, when it finishes copying, the drive disappears as the board reboots. The drive should only come back if you're holding the bootloader button, or have a corrupted downloaded uf2 file.

When my boards have rebooted, there is no extra drive in File Explorer, and when I look in Thonny it reports:
MicroPython v1.18 on 2022-01-17; Adafruit Feather RP2040 with RP2040

Eliminatus

Post by Eliminatus »

Thanks for the reply!

As with most issues like this though, it turns out it was operator error. It was my first time using MicroPython and I had no idea that it would not be recognized as a MicroPython device on Windows File Explorer like Circuit Python does. I got it working now. It's embarrassing and can only chalk it up to newbie ignorance. Glad you straightened that out for me though! That's why these forums exist.

Thanks again Freddy.

freddyboomboom

Post by freddyboomboom »

No worries.

It is confusing that CircuitPython presents the flash storage as a drive for the Operating System and MicroPython doesn't.

That is part of why Adafruit and others think that CircuitPython is easier for new folks to use.

I'm just happy you've got it working.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”