Confused about CircuitPython

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rainerf

Confused about CircuitPython

Post by rainerf »

Am pretty familiar (no expert) in using Python to include code for RPi. Recently purchased BBB for which some of my code is not working (one example is for the DHT22 Hum/Temp sensor). SO, I gather I need CP.
My question: Can CP libraries be imported into Python 3+ and used with standard Python coding, or does CP language have to be used throughout?
BTW, I use straight text editors or IDLE for coding and do not use Cloud based or MU
I really don't want to have two coding platforms.
Any help would be appreciated!

dastels

Re: Confused about CircuitPython

Post by dastels »

rainerf

Post by rainerf »

Dave,
TY kindly. I have read through that once before, and, the second time now, it makes a little more sense.
The samples appear to be CP language, though, yes? Could you think of any sample code which involves both Python3 and CP?
I am sorry to be so dense, but I am really trying to understand it better.

dastels

Post by dastels »

CircuitPython and MicroPython that it's based on are Python 3, but a from scratch implementation running on microcontrollers. Ignoring the version that runs native on the Pi (i.e. no Linux).

Blinka is a layer that lets you use libraries/modules that are written for CircuitPython with cpython (the "standard" implementation) on supported platforms (e.g. various Raspberry Pi boards).

So the language is the same. The difference is that various low level modules that are part of the CircuitPython runtime. A good example of that is the board module. Blinka brings those modules to Python3, letting you use the various hardware support/driver modules. E.g. sensor drivers and such.

That guide is full of examples of using CircuitPython modules with cpython running on a Pi (or other support linux board).

Dave

rainerf

Post by rainerf »

Dave - TY again for taking the time.
That is the portion I needed to understand!
Silly enough on my part, I have seen modules described using cPython but did not know that was the nomenclature for the common python language. Again, TY

dastels

Post by dastels »

Good stuff. Have fun.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”