Installing CircuitPython on a Trinket MO via MacBook/OSX

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Korsakovsky

Installing CircuitPython on a Trinket MO via MacBook/OSX

Post by Korsakovsky »

Hi!

I'm new to all of this.

I am trying to install CircuitPython on a Trinket MO from my MacBook running OSX.

I have followed Adafruit's instructions about resetting the Trinket by double-clicking the rest button.

It then shows up on my desktop as TRINKETBOOT.

This is all well and good, and the TRINKET MO shows (via get-info) 4.1 MB capacity and 3.5 MB available.

I then drag the CircuitPython download to the Trinket and it then shows up as CIRCUITPY.

With CircuitPython installed, it shows 48KB capacity with 26 KB available?

I read the various things about OSX installing un-needed files if you drag-and-drop, and I tried some stuff with Terminal (which I've never used before) that is mentioned in the articles, but for those of us with extremely limited computer skills, is there any easy way of getting CircuitPython properly installed onto a Trinket MO from a MacBook without hours of detailed work?

In addition, I tried downloading the CircuitPython for Trinket MO file from the CircuitPython.org website instead of Adafruit's, and the downloaded zip file is 371KB?

https://circuitpython.org/board/trinket_m0/

I'd like to start learning about CircuitPython and coding, but can't even get passed this opening-gate!

Many thanks!

tannewt

Re: Installing CircuitPython on a Trinket MO via MacBook/OSX

Post by tannewt »

The TRINKETBOOT drive is fake so the size is misleading.

The Trinket M0's actual flash space is very limited because it doesn't have an external flash chip.

It sounds like everything is setup correctly to me.

Korsakovsky

Post by Korsakovsky »

Hey thanks for that!

The problem is that I can load CircuitPython onto the Trinket MO, the Trinket then shows up as CIRCUITPY on my Mac desktop, but then there is almost no space left on it.

A freind sent me a file written for Trinket MO that will ostensibly fit on it with CircuitPython also on the Trinket MO to get me started with learning (I want to learn to use it for a midi application), but when I try to drag the file onto the Trinket, it gives me an out-of-space error message?

Thanks again!

tannewt

Post by tannewt »

How big is the file? There should be enough room to do basic things.

It may be worth following this troubleshooting: https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... es-2978456

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”