capturing repl messages on remote project

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rcayot

capturing repl messages on remote project

Post by Rcayot »

I currently have a weather station project up and running. In the past, I have had trouble with the receiving end of the app. After having fixed those issues, another has come up.

The send end, a RPi-PICO with RMF9x packet radio and sensors, powered by a solar panel and battery with charger.

The transmit will, with no apparent reason to me, stop sending messages. I go out and reset by powering down and re-applying power, and it begins transmitting again. What I would like to do is to capture any error messages generated so I can troubleshoot. Bringing the project inside and waiting for it to fail is a hopeless case, as I have tried it.

So, here are my options as far as I know:

1. connect some kind of display to the PICO and have it 'print' error messages, and/or data?
2. have it transmit via RFM9x to reciever? Probably not valid because it just crashed.
3. open a 'file' and send output to it.
4. Connect another board to capture the text output of the repl. This could possibly be done with an RPi-Zero-W. I would have to be able to disconnect it and bring it into the house because the WIFI will not reach far enough.

Anyway, any suggestions on a possible solution would be helpful. Not posting code, because I do not know how it would help with this specific problem, but is available on request.

Roger

dastels

Re: capturing repl messages on remote project

Post by dastels »

My approach would be to instrument the code (especially error conditions, catching any exceptions and logging them) using adafruit_logging (https://learn.adafruit.com/a-logger-for-circuitpython)and send the output to a file. Attaching an SD card is perfect for this as you can just pull the SD card and analyse the log on another computer. Also you can put in a fresh card and restart system.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”