general documentation for ItsyBitsy M0 Express
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

general documentation for ItsyBitsy M0 Express

by imrekiss on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Hi,

I’m kind of stuck. I purchased an ItsyBitsy M0 Express and the TCS34725 color sensor. Following directions in a rote manner, I got them to work (streaming rgb color values). I am ready to move on but cannot find:

• any documentation for the ItsyBitsy M0 Express
• how to configure GPIO, A/D, timers, available pins, their names, their functions
• documentation on CircuitPython language (assume subset of Python but what subset)

The simple example is clear but what are the other commands available in CircuitPython (and specifically for this board)?

In mu I type help (“modules”) and get a list of modules. OK but how do I get detail regarding the modules?

How do I get detail on the libraries?

I am sure that this information lives somewhere and is obvious to all but I can’t seem to crack the code as to how to access it.

Thanks

imrekiss

Re: general documentation for ItsyBitsy M0 Express

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:47 am

Start with the CircuitPython tutorial and its links to the general documentation:

https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... n/overview

Once you have that information, it might also answer some of the other questions.

adafruit_support_mike

by imrekiss on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi Mike,

As you might imagine I did go through this material earlier and did so again as per your suggestion.

In the CircuitPython Hardware section there is no explicit mention of ItsyBitsy M0 Express. Perhaps this because it is new and there is no specific documentation for this board?

In the section called What is CircuitPython, there is a general description but no link to a language definition. (i.e. how is CircuitPython a subset different from regular Python, what are the elements of the subset)

Typing “help(board)” in mu does give me a collection of pins but no further information. For example,

Where is the usage of these statements described?

i2c = busio.I2C(board.SCL, board.SDA)
sensor = adafruit_tcs34725.TCS34725(i2c)

or these

led = digitalio.DigitalInOut(board.D13)
led.direction = digitalio.Direction.OUTPUT

I assume they are described somewhere in the packages (in the rst files?) themselves but I can’t figure out how to get at it.

For example, how do I actually set up my AD or DAC using CircuitPython and then exercise them.

I have extensive experience programming the TI Delfino 28335 for sensorless motor control and for that I get a bunch of PDF publications that describe how things work. I’m sort of looking for something similar.

Thanks again.

imrekiss

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:56 pm

imrekiss wrote:In the CircuitPython Hardware section there is no explicit mention of ItsyBitsy M0 Express. Perhaps this because it is new and there is no specific documentation for this board?

Yes, but it's the same microcontroller as in the Circuit Playground Express, Feather M0 Express, and so on. The only major difference is that more of the GPIO pins are broken out to the edge of the board. About all you need are the pin numbers, and those are printed on the board.

imrekiss wrote:In the section called What is CircuitPython, there is a general description but no link to a language definition. (i.e. how is CircuitPython a subset different from regular Python, what are the elements of the subset)

Doesn't exist.. Python has too many different-and-only-vaguely-compatible dialects for deltas like that to be possible. Python2 and Python3 may as well be different languages, and about a week ago I ran into an issue where the Python3.6 interpreter wouldn't run Python 3.5 code. IMO, the Python team has gone a bit overboard on the One True Way To Do X model of language design.

For more questions about the language, check over in the CircuitPython forum:

viewforum.php?f=60

The people writing the CircuitPython code hang out there, and they're the best resource for design ideas and details.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.