Itsy Bitsy M4 Windows 7 Driver
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Itsy Bitsy M4 Windows 7 Driver

by AQDINC on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Hello,

I cannot get my Itsy Bitsy M4 to show up as a COM device in device manager. Instead, the device is listed under "other devices". I am running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, and I have tried installing the Adafruit Windows driver package several times (version 2.2.0.0) without success. My Itsy Bitsy M0 shows up fine, but the M4 does not. Is there an additional driver that I need that is not in the package? I can still edit code via CircuitPython, but I want to be able to use Arduino IDE.

Thanks

AQDINC

Re: Itsy Bitsy M4 Windows 7 Driver

by Iconnu on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:33 pm

AQDINC wrote:Hello,

I cannot get my Itsy Bitsy M4 to show up as a COM device in device manager. Instead, the device is listed under "other devices". I am running Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit, and I have tried installing the Adafruit Windows driver package several times (version 2.2.0.0) without success. My Itsy Bitsy M0 shows up fine, but the M4 does not. Is there an additional driver that I need that is not in the package? I can still edit code via CircuitPython, but I want to be able to use Arduino IDE.

Thanks

I have a thread where I'm using Windows 8.1 and I'm able to upload the sketch on the board but my USB doesn't work. I tried it under Windows 10 and it works with some tweaking of the COM ports. Did you install the latest drivers from Adafruit?

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... .2.0.0.exe

Can you show a pic of the Device Manager screen?

Iconnu

by AQDINC on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Yes, I have installed the latest drivers. I do not have anything newer than Windows 7, so I followed the directions under the Itsy Bitsy M4 documentation for installing the driver package. I did not see the Itsy Bitsy M4 listed under "boards to install" which is why I thought that the M4 might need a driver that was not in the package. The Itsy Bitsy M0 is listed, and it works fine on my machine.

Itsy Bitsy M4 Device Manager.JPG
Itsy Bitsy M4 Device Manager.JPG (61.6 KiB) Viewed 126 times

AQDINC

by franklin97355 on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:23 pm

The Express versions do not show up as com ports but as USB drives. Yours is ITSYM4BOOT. We don't have a tutorial for the M4 yet but this one for the M0 should get you on the right path.

franklin97355

by AQDINC on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:46 pm

franklin97355 wrote:The Express versions do not show up as com ports but as USB drives. Yours is ITSYM4BOOT. We don't have a tutorial for the M4 yet but this one for the M0 should get you on the right path.

My Itsy Bitsy M0 Express does show up as a COM port, and this is how I upload code via the Arduino IDE. I am trying to replicate this behavior with the M4 so that I can program it with the Arduino IDE, but it does not show up under the "ports" menu in the Arduino IDE. Likewise, the REPL in Mu works with the M0, but with the M4 I get the error "Could not find an attached device."

Itsy Bitsy M0 COM Port.JPG
Itsy Bitsy M0 COM Port.JPG (51.59 KiB) Viewed 112 times

AQDINC

by AQDINC on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Update:

I have tried a few other things, but so far nothing has been successful. Here is what I have done:

I tried to use a Windows 8.1 laptop, but I have the same issue. The M0 boards work fine (they show up as COM ports and can be uploaded via Arduino IDE), but the M4 boards do not show up as COM ports. In fact, on 8.1 I couldn't even access the boards as a drive until they were in bootloader mode.

I tried exporting my Arduino IDE sketches as .bin files and then converting to .uf2 using this python script so that I could just drag and drop onto the device's drive to flash the program. I was able to successfully create .uf2 files and run them on my M0 boards, but the M4 boards don't exit the bootloader after I drag and drop the .uf2 I created. When I put the CircuitPython .uf2 (that came on the boards by default) back on the M4 drive, they run my main.py file again.

I tried multiple boards. I though that maybe I had a bad board, but all of the M0 boards work, and all of the M4 boards have the same behavior. I still suspect a missing driver because when I plug in a new M4 board, windows tries to find it's drivers, but it can't find them all. I have installed the latest driver package multiple times, but the M4 boards still can't seem to find their driver.

Itsy Bitsy M4 Driver Installation.JPG
Itsy Bitsy M4 Driver Installation.JPG (50.43 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Is anyone able to make the boards come up as COM ports and use Arduino IDE on Windows 7? Am I missing a step that will allow the M4 boards to behave the same as the M0 boards?

AQDINC

by danhalbert on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:02 am

The 2.2.0 Drivers installer does include support for all the current M4 boards. However, if you installed an earlier version of the drivers, it's possible they were not updated when you installed the later driver package. Or, if you plugged in the board before you installed 2.2.0, it might have gotten associated with the wrong driver.

Try uninstalling all the "Adafruit" drivers, and also uninstall any Teensy driver. Then reinstall the 2.2.0 drive package.

(EDIT: I apologize above is wrong; no support in 2.2.0 for ItsyBitsy M4; see next post)

danhalbert

by danhalbert on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:21 am

I apologize - I was wrong; we've added ItsyBitsy M4 support for Windows 7 but haven't yet released a signed Windows driver yet in the drivers. We'll get on that and post back here when it's available.

danhalbert

by AQDINC on Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 pm

Thank you, I look forward to seeing the release of the new driver package.

AQDINC

by danhalbert on Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:57 pm

I have a release candidate driver package installer for you to test.

To use this package, it's best to uninstall all the Adafruit drivers from your installed programs list. Then unplug all the Adafruit boards and delete all the old Adafruit-associated devices using the Device Cleanup tool found here: https://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html. Run it as administrator.

Here's the test installer: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iOT-H ... j0Cae981c_

Thanks for testing. Let me know how it works out.

danhalbert

by AQDINC on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you. This driver package is working for me. The only thing I notice is that when the device is in bootloader mode, another COM port shows up as "Adafruit ItsyBitsy M4 Express UF2 WebUSB dummy." I don't remember seeing this on Windows 10, but it isn't causing any problems. I will continue testing all my M4 devices to make sure everything works, but for now this seems to solve the problem.

AQDINC

by danhalbert on Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm

Yes, the "WebUSB Dummy" is new. The bootloader provides WebUSB support, and if we don't install some kind of driver for it (even a fake "null driver" one, in this case), then you'll get a "device not successfully installed" type of error.

Thanks for testing! I'll release this.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.