Drive an RGB matrix with ItsyBitsy m0 express?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Drive an RGB matrix with ItsyBitsy m0 express?

by bullerd on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:48 am

I have 2 ItsyBitsy m0 expresses on order, and was wondering if it would be possible to use them to drive a 32x32 RGB matrix using either Arduino or Circuit Python code. I've already got the setup to connect the RGB panel to a Pi (using the Matrix Pi Hat for the RPi and a wiring harness for an Arduino). And, if it is possible to control the RGB matrix from the ItsyBitsy, is it possible to load the Python libraries so that I can use Circuit Python to control it? I would like to use the device in a classroom where the students are learning Python, so that's my preferred solution.

Thanks for the great products and support!

-David

bullerd

Re: Drive an RGB matrix with ItsyBitsy m0 express?

by bcochran1 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi!

Speaking just for myself, as another customer, I'm Neopixel crazy and the ItsyBitsy devices run them just fine. They are more powerful than ordinary Arduino devices: faster clock speeds and more memory. I'm a little frustrated that they don't have a lot of QSPI flash, but they sure can drive pixels.

Please note that I have not really graduated yet to CircuitPython. All my NeoPixel code is in Arduino. I just take the "strand test" example and modify it slightly to account for my particular Pixel count, and also to have it use pin #5. Why that pin? Because it level shifts the signals to 5v logic. I have also been playing with using DMA to drive the pixels. Click on the photo I've attached so you can see the neopixel strip.

Thanks so much,

Bob

two_itsy_bitsy_projects_with_neopixels_small.jpg
two_itsy_bitsy_projects_with_neopixels_small.jpg (192.68 KiB) Viewed 55 times

bcochran1

by bullerd on Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:51 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the info, especially the point about pin#5 sending 5V logic...I hadn't seen that in the specs!

I agree with you that LED strips are a lot of fun and have great support in CircuitPython. My strip of choice is the Dotstar, and I've had good luck getting them to work with Raspberry Pi, micro:bit, and Circuit Playground Express, so I'm fairly sure I'll get them working with the ItsyBitsy. The RGB matrix/panel is another story; while I've gotten it working with an Arduino and a Raspberry Pi, I haven't seen any information about getting it to work with Python on anything other than the Pi.

Thanks again for the info, and taking the time to help.

bullerd

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Arduino for sure. The library is here:
https://github.com/adafruit/RGB-matrix-Panel
and the main guide is here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/32x16-32x32- ... x/overview
but there's also this guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-matrix-f ... g/overview

There's no CircuitPython support yet. The matrix panels have a tight timing requirement and CP would need to have a low level helper library written. Similar to NeoPixel:
https://circuitpython.readthedocs.io/en ... ixel_write
and DotStar (which relies on SPI).

adafruit_support_carter

by bcochran1 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:33 pm

@bullerd, please take the time to read the "Neopixel Uber Guide" from start to finish, and pay special attention to the sections on powering the pixels. If I have any more than about 12 pixels in a ring, I power them with a separate 5v 10A supply. I don't expect my ItsyBitsy device to source the power and I refuse to try and get my much more expensive laptop to source the power over USB, either. Pixels (and Dotstars) need plenty of amps to run.

Thanks so much

Bob

bcochran1

by bullerd on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks for the replies; will definitely try the Arduino library.

bullerd

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.