Custom Itstbitsy M4 sensor board "Format disk error"
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Custom Itstbitsy M4 sensor board "Format disk error"

by david0812 on Wed May 15, 2019 10:22 am

Hi
I rolled out a custom sensor board after prototyping on the ItsyBitsy M4. I did not have any space on the board for the status LEDs, so they are not used in my project.
After flashing the bootloader and draging the CircuitPython for the ItsyBitsy M4 the xxxxBoot drive disapears and the windows finds a non formatted disk drive that is not possible to format with Windows 10

The question is: Do I need to format the blank GD25Q16EIGR SPI Flash chip in some way ?
How do I proceed with this ? Did I choose the wrong SPI Flash Chip, I followed the ItsyBitsy M4 schematics (although it is marked GD25x16 there).
I can't program the chip without access to a circuitpy drive because my code is in CircuitPython...

The boards in the sensor are circular and stacked vertically with micro headers as the boards are not much bigger than the itsyBitsy M4 in board area and have both multiple LEDs and Photomultiplyer chips. The breadbording stuff worked, but for the real working sensor I needed this on a custom PCB, as this is a project that needs to be waterproof and in a custom enclosure, I cannot use the breadbord version in situ...

Thanks for any tips on how to solve this issue

D.

david0812

Re: Custom Itstbitsy M4 sensor board "Format disk error"

by danhalbert on Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 pm

I'm guessing it's a GD25Q16CEIGR (with a C). No, you shouldn't need to format the chip to make it work. It should just appear. Since it's a new board it may be a hardware problem as well. Triple-check the design You'll probably want to hook up an SWD debugger and see whether the QSPI flash formatting is working or not, and perhaps hook up a logic analyzer to the flash chips pins to see if they are getting and returning data.

danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.