Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 Not Responding

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
maren

Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 Not Responding

Post by maren »

We ordered 50 Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 - 5V 16MHz PID: 3677 and some are not working. So far I have opened 13 and 9 not worked. The red light indicator does not show and no response from the ItsyBitsy. I am worried most of my order will not work. I would like to replace any in my order that are not working. I should I keep checking my entire order for other faulty Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 or should I leave the other 37 in the packaging?

mikeysklar

Re: Adafruit ItsyBitsy 32u4 Not Responding

Post by mikeysklar »

@maren,

Let's take a closer look at some that are not looking before opening more.

Can you select one and we can look at what you are doing to connect it to a PC and test the unit.

maren

Post by maren »

Yes, how do you need me to troubleshoot these?

maren

Post by maren »

We are using USB 2.0 Type A Male to SLIM Micro-B 5-Pin Cables. We have not had any issues with these in the past.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I don't have any concern about your cable or USB setup if you have been using the same machine / port combination to checkout the ItsyBitsys.

I am curious about what if the bootloader is stuck. Are you able to toggle it with the reset button at all?

https://learn.adafruit.com/introducting ... 2979293-22

Code: Select all

If you ever get in a 'weird' spot with the bootloader, or you have uploaded code that crashes and doesn't auto-reboot into the bootloader, click the RST button to get back into the bootloader. The red LED will pulse, so you know that its in bootloader mode. Do the reset button press right as the Arduino IDE says its attempting to upload the sketch, when you see the Yellow Arrow lit and the Uploading... text in the status bar.
development_boards_microcomputers_adafruit_products_uploading.gif
Don't click the reset button before uploading, unlike other bootloaders you want this one to run at the time Arduino is trying to upload

maren

Post by maren »

I used the same power supply and cable with one that works and the red light shows. These other ones I plug with same setup show no red light even after I hit reset.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

The most likely explanation is the bootloader is not installed.

Please confirm one more thing and then we can start the replacement process of any non-responding units you find.

When you plug a non-responding ItsyBitsy 32u4 into the machine (PC/Mac/Lin). Does anything appear in the device manager or dmesg output to confirm that a USB connection was made?

We have shipped ItsyBitsy 32u4 units before without a bootloader before and a user provided an easy guide for resolving the issue although it is not something I expect you to go through. Just providing this as an FYI in case you want to try it on a single unit to confirm it resolves the issue.

https://www.designedbycave.co.uk/2020/I ... ootloader/

maren

Post by maren »

Yes, the below images shows appears in device manger.
Attachments
Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (1).png (422.51 KiB) Viewed 219 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Great. Thank you for that image.

Do you see a different device label when you plugin a working unit from the device manager.

eg. this screenshot says "Atm32U4DFU"

Do the working units have a label difference such as "ItsyBitsy32u4" or something to that extent?

maren

Post by maren »

The working ones I was able to create an automaton with are called USB Serial Device (COM3). I do not have an open ItsyBitsy that works and has not been used to create into an automaton. I did not want to open my entire order if most are not working. Do you want me check my entire order?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@maren,

It is up to you if you want to check your entire order or if you would prefer to return them all. The only advantage I see with you checking each unit is that you can have several working ones to use while you wait for the return / replacement process to complete for the remaining units.

maren

Post by maren »

I was able to check my order and 27 ItsyBitsy were faulty. How to I go about returning them?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@maren,

Thank you for taking the time to review your order.

You can send an e-mail to [email protected] requesting a return for the 27 units which have a suspected lack of bootloader (or other failure). Please include your original invoice# and a link to this forum thread.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”