ItsyBitsy wont load

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tony_damato

ItsyBitsy wont load

Post by tony_damato »

I have an ItsyBitsy thatI can'load from Arduino IDE 1.8.13 on windows 8.1. I does however work OK on Windows 10.

Sorry I forgot to indicate which board.
ItsyBitsy 32u4 5V 16MHz

Thankyou,Tony

mikeysklar

Re: ItsyBitsy wont load

Post by mikeysklar »

The Win10 machine has a built in driver for the CP2104 USB serial, but your Win8 machine will not. Did you load the driver we recommend?

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Windows_Drivers

tony_damato

Post by tony_damato »

Thank you, I tried again useing Adafruit_usbser. This is what I get;;

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it

A problem was encountered while attempting to add the driver to the store

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Let's have you uninstall ours and try the official SiLabs VCP driver released three weeks ago. We have not been paying much attention to Windows 8 so support there is spotty.

https://www.silabs.com/developers/usb-t ... cp-drivers

tony_damato

Post by tony_damato »

All I get is install failed. I appreciate you trying to help but i feel like I'm wasting your time. All of those things should have worked but unfortunately not

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@tony_damato,

Do you have another machine (different Windows version, Mac or Linux box) you can work with?

tony_damato

Post by tony_damato »

I have a windows 10 laptop that itsybitsy works fine on, and just thought that it shouldn't be to hard to get it to work Guess I was wrong.
I don't like to give in but I may just have to upgrade to W10. I like things that don't work it makes you think but at some point I have to realize when to quit. I'm close but not there yet. I appreciate your help and I would try anything you come up with but again I do not want to see you waste yor time.

Thanks again,
Tony

zila1306

Post by zila1306 »

The problem with install of an unsigned driver in Windows 8.1, 8, and 7 can be solved!
Short note at the top of this lengthy post:
The reason for the failure of installing unsigned drivers in Win 8, 8.1 64-bit as well as for Win 7 64-bit is that "Code Integrity is enforced", and therefore adafruit_usbser.inf fails to install.

Solution: Boot windows with the Advanced Boot Option: "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement". Then install the unsigned driver, and then do a normal reboot. The installed adafruit_usbser will still function. This solution worked on my Windows 8.1, 64-bit PC.
Many thanks to raymond for this solution! "5 Methods to Load Unsigned Drivers in Windows 7, 8 and Vista 64-bit (x64)" https://www.raymond.cc/blog/loading-uns ... 4-bit-x64/

A lengthy explanation:
The install of an unsigned driver fails in Windows 7, 8, 8.1 (at least Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 64-bit as well as Windows 8.1 64-bit) as their default behaviour is to block installation of an unsigned driver. I've observed this behaviour with Adafruit Board Drivers (specifically: Adafruit_usbser driver).
Unfortunately, the driver installation of "Adafruit Board drivers" says "Completed", but actually it did fail! and that failed silently. In order to verify this, please run adafruit_drivers_2.5.0.0.exe on a Windows 8.1, 64-bit PC and then look in the file "C:\Windows\Inf\setupapi.dev.log".

If you try to install the Adafruit_usbser driver manually using dpinst-x64.exe (see below how to run it) (which opens a window called "Device Driver Installation Wizard", but then fails with an unspecific error "Cannot Complete the Device Driver Installation Wizard. Errors were encountered while installing the software for your devices. See the status column for more details. Sometimes it helps to run this wizard again. If that doesn't work, contact your device vendor." And in the status column it just says "Installed failed". The driver name is "Adafruit Industries LLC Adafruit Boards CDC Driver 11/11/2020 10.2.5.0"

However, if you run dpinst-x64.exe from the command line (as an admin) with logging activated (using: dpinst-x64.exe /C in the folder with the driver to be installed), you get following more useful log dump:

Code: Select all

D:\Adafruit_usbser>dpinst-x64.exe /C

INFO:   Option set: dumping log info to console.
INFO:   Current working directory: 'D:\Adafruit_usbser'
INFO:   Running on path 'D:\Adafruit_usbser'
INFO:   No valid 'dpinst.xml' file provided.
INFO:   Found driver package: 'D:\Adafruit_usbser\Adafruit_usbser.inf'.
INFO:   Preinstalling 'd:\adafruit_usbser\adafruit_usbser.inf' ...
INFO:   ENTER:  DriverPackagePreinstallW
INFO:   RETURN: DriverPackagePreinstallW  (0xE0000247)
Unfortunately, the error code 0xE0000247 is generic, and just means that something is wrong with the driver/inf-file. It doesn't tell what the error is.

In the logfile for setup-API, (C:\Windows\Inf\setupapi.dev.log) you find the reason

Code: Select all

sig:           {_VERIFY_FILE_SIGNATURE} 12:26:27.207
     sig:                Key      = adafruit_usbser.inf
     sig:                FilePath = C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp\{72c0c0ea-101d-0643-acd0-e26d2d261f10}\adafruit_usbser.inf
     sig:                Catalog  = C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\Temp\{72c0c0ea-101d-0643-acd0-e26d2d261f10}\Adafruit_usbser.cat
!    sig:                Verifying file against specific Authenticode(tm) catalog failed! (0x800b0100)
     sig:           {_VERIFY_FILE_SIGNATURE exit(0x800b0100)} 12:26:27.238
!!!  sig:           Driver package catalog file does not contain a signature, and Code Integrity is enforced.
!!!  sig:           Driver package failed signature validation. Error = 0xE0000247
     sto:      {DRIVERSTORE IMPORT VALIDATE: exit(0xe0000247)} 12:26:27.394
!!!  sig:      Driver package failed signature verification. Error = 0xE0000247
!!!  sto:      Failed to import driver package into Driver Store. Error = 0xE0000247
     sto: {Stage Driver Package: exit(0xe0000247)} 12:26:27.410
<<<  Section end 2021/09/20 12:26:27.488
<<<  [Exit status: FAILURE(0xe0000247)]
Using the solution provided at the beginning of this post is working for me on my Win 8.1 64-bit machine.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”