Matrix Portal M4 reset button doesn't get it into bootloader

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bobarsenault1

Matrix Portal M4 reset button doesn't get it into bootloader

Post by bobarsenault1 »

Received Matrix Portal M4 with Adabox016, was running Python bundle 6.x libraries on it for a very long time...lovely weather info program. Saw a prelim version of 7.x, grabbed it and upgraded the bootloader and then the /lib folders on CIRCUITPY drive to the V7 .mpy's....things went kerflooie on reboot...I think that's the correct technical term. Now I get a mish-mash of various library errors stating that the V7 libraries are "not compatible" or that I have "syntax errors". It's definitely a library version error....

Board reports I'm now using: Adafruit CircuitPython 7.0.0-alpha.6 on 2021-08-12 Matrix Portal M4 with samd51j19

Problem: Can't get the reset button double press to put the board back into bootloader mode so I can upload proper new/fully released 7.x uf2. I've tried at least 50 variations of timing on the reset button, I'm using Win10 and even tried unmounting the USB drive trick with board reboot that I saw in another post, other suggestions in the forums as well...no matter what I do I still get the CIRCUITPY drive with reset button double press instead into bootloader.

Any ideas on how to get this thing into bootloader mode so I can un-kerflooie the unit with latest and released .uf2 file?

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: Matrix Portal M4 reset button doesn't get it into bootlo

Post by mikeysklar »

Is there anything else connected to matrixportal? When you are trying to connect with the double-reset is the just with the controller board (not the matrix itself) using the USB as the only connected device?

bobarsenault1

Post by bobarsenault1 »

Sorry for the long delay....just the controller on its own, not connected to the matrix at all. I'm going to try for another 50 reset button presses now, just because I love to BANNED myself....

bobarsenault1

Post by bobarsenault1 »

I was able to reset the board via the reset pin shorted against Ground with a small wire...I was then able to copy over a new V7 full release .uf2 file and it rebooted fine.

Wish I had thought of this fix earlier, I spent HOURS reading about SAMD51 reset software and hex values, etc......simple fix in case anyone runs into the issue of double press on the reset button doesn't put the board into bootloader mode.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

There is also a RST pin on the Matrix Portal you can tie it to GND to trigger bootloader. Maybe there is a issue with the physical reset button not responding.
RST is the Reset pin. Tie to ground to manually reset the ATSAMD51, as well as launch the bootloader manually.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-mat ... 3072944-15
9CBC842A-9F15-4387-9A52-DBBD0E8D0FAE.png
9CBC842A-9F15-4387-9A52-DBBD0E8D0FAE.png (304.12 KiB) Viewed 398 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”