Can't Upload

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rickpeterson

Can't Upload

Post by rickpeterson »

I am using Arduino IDE version 1.8.19 with Windows 10. I was also using the IDE for ATTiny's (DigiStump) and had to make some changes which I have forgotten the details of. Now I can no longer upload to ItsyBitsy M4 Express (Uno still works). I reloaded Arduino IDE (after deleting Arduino15 directory under Users/<user account>/AppData/Local) but it still does not work. The only programmers I have for the M4 are "J-Link over OCD" and "Amtel-ICE over OCD". I have the board and port selected; but, it looses the port just after compile and produces the "Couldn't find a Board on the selected port." error message when the upload should occur. Which USB Stack (Arduino or TinyUSB) and Programmer am I suppose to be using in Arduino IDE?

Here is a screenshot:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/b3DGDtmhTpRhPnKH7

mikeysklar

Re: Can't Upload

Post by mikeysklar »

You have the correct USB stack "Arduino". You probably do not have either of those programmers so neither should be selected (J-Link and OpenOCD) should have no *dot* beside them.

Here are my settings for a related M4 board.
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 9.45.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 9.45.26 AM.png (549.67 KiB) Viewed 192 times
If you are not already doing it try double pressing reset to get your controller in bootloader mode just before you hit the upload button from the Arduino IDE.

rickpeterson

Post by rickpeterson »

I tried double clicking the Reset hardware switch on the ItsyBitsy M4 Express before clicking the Upload software icon in the Arduino IDE; but; that causes the port to disappear in Windows 10, the pin 13 red LED turns on solid, and the DotStar turns on solid purple. I then have to click the Reset button again to get the port to reappear in Windows and the chip starts running my program (already uploaded before the problem) again.

A programmer has to be selected in the IDE and it only shows those two to choose from.

Here is a photo of the chip after double clicking the Reset switch when the port is missing in Windows (with no external power turned on the BAT pin lead):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/WMcwrHtZ9B3zTmzLA

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for the picture of the board.

What else is connected to the processor?

Can you try uploading again with nothing else connected to the board.

As you can see by my screenshot no programmer is selected. Those devices are not typically used. Normally you would just be programming over the USB COM4 port which you machine has identified properly.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”