ItsyBitsy board specifications

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kscharf

ItsyBitsy board specifications

Post by kscharf »

Adafruit has published official specs for the Feather, so anyone that wants to make a compatible format feather board or wing has the details. However, I've searched for layout specs for the ItsyBitsy format, and haven't found any.
I was thinking of making a feather using the AVR128DB-28, but for my own uses the ItsyBitsy format might make more sense as I don't need the on board battery charger. Also, it appears that the Feather MUST use 3.3v I/O signals, while the ItsyBitsy can go with either 3.3v or 5v.
As a KiCad learning project, I may very well attempt to layout both a feather and an itsybitsy, but I'd like to see some official specs on the ItsyBitsy board format, if they exist.

dastels

Re: ItsyBitsy board specifications

Post by dastels »

The logic level voltage entirely depends on the MCU. None of the current ItsyBitsy models use a 5v MCU.

What, exactly, do you mean by "official specs"?

Dave

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The Feather was designed from the ground-up to support an extensive ecosystem of compatible Wings and accessories from multiple sources - hence the published spec. The ItsyBitsy less ambitious in that respect. But we are starting to see some compatible stacking boards like the AirLift: https://www.adafruit.com/product/4363

I'll check with the designers to see if there is anything like a formal spec for the layout of the Itsy.

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

The 32U4 ItsyBitsy (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3677) DOES run at 5v.
By "official specs" I mean specs 'approved' by AdaFruit to maintain compatibility with all ItsyBitsy products.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

there isnt because it is not as firm a standard - it came before feather. if you post a pinout ill tell you if its 'compatible'

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

Guess I'll follow the existing 32u4 pinout where it matches the avr128DB28 pins (does a 5v board need a 3v regulator on it?) putting the UPDI pin on the right hand row. Not sure where the PWM pins will land though (does that matter?).

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

PWM pins arent force-specified. if its a 5V board, follow the itsy 32u4 5V. if its a 3V board can follow the M0 or M4 or 32u4 3V ones

kscharf

Post by kscharf »

Since the AVR128DB series will operate at either 5 or 3.3 volts AT THE SAME CLOCK SPEEDS (might not overclock as well at 3.3 volts though), I'm tempted to make the board a dual voltage design, maybe use an adjustable low drop out regulator with a solder jumper to select one of two voltage setting resistors (or just swap the resistor at build time).

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

sounds good!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”