I THINK I FRIED MY 32u4 BOARD HELP PLEASE
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

I THINK I FRIED MY 32u4 BOARD HELP PLEASE

by peachTea on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 pm

So it's a beautiful snowy day after school, right? I sit down at my desk, and I decide I'll keep working on a project. This project is a little MIDI Controller that uses potentiometers and a big ol' ribbon softpot to send MIDI data.
Every time I had plugged my ItsyBitsy in before, it would only do a blinking red LED, which I couldn't find a fix for. I downloaded the Adafruit AVR Drivers and all, too.
Anyways, I plug it into my computer, and enter the Device Manager to find what port the Itsy Bitsy is connected to on my Arduino IDE. The Device Manager updates, not showing the port anymore and when I look at my board, there are no lights, and a potentiometer was getting really really hot.
After this incident, I can plug the board in but it still doesn't give me any lights. When I look in the Device Manager, it does show a new COM port.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can help my fix this, I'm just a programmer and this is one of my first adventures into circuitry.

peachTea

Re: I THINK I FRIED MY 32u4 BOARD HELP PLEASE

by peachTea on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Actually nevermind? I uploaded the Blink sketch to the board just out of curiosity and it does work. I guess it was just a scare? Sorry about that.

peachTea

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:36 pm

It sounds like you may have gotten a short circuit through the soft pot. You always want to put at least 100 ohms of resistance in series with a soft pot because they’re prone to shorting across the contacts where the power comes in. The resistor will limit the current to about 50mA from a 5V supply.

adafruit_support_mike

by peachTea on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:43 pm

The thing was, I hadn't actually put the softpot on the circuit yet. I had prepared the wiring for it, but hadn't actually attached it to the breadboard. Also very worth mentioning, I know the other (knob) potentiometer had burned out because I just now found that the wire to Ground was bad.
I'm mostly concerned with knowing if this could ruin my Itsy Bitsy.
Thanks for your time by the way!

peachTea

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Any connection that pulls too much current through a pin can damage the microcontroller. It isn’t an absolute yes/no thing, just a question of how much the bad connection exceeded the pin’s rating, how long the connection existed, and where the pin’s IO circuits fall in the normal range of more-to-less durable than average.

If the board still works, it probably didn’t experience any lasting damage.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.