Itsy Bitsy 32u4 5v not working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Itsy Bitsy 32u4 5v not working

by tsshapiro on Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi... I received new board today. I'm using latest Arduino IDE and have selected the proper "board" in the Tools menu. When I plugged in the board the first time the red led was "pulsing" then stopped. There is no other LED on the board to indicate there is power to the board when connected. (Should there be?) I did press the reset button several times and nothing happened. Then when pressing again the led began pulsing again. However, I am unable to upload a sketch and now, no matter how many times I press the reset button I cannot get the led pulsing again. (And I wonder, is it necessary to have the led pulsing to upload?)
When plugged into my USB port there is no port showing in IDE to select other than the bluetooth port. I have a new Macbook Pro running High Sierra with the USB-c ports... so I am using apple USBc to USB adapter... then a USB to USB mini cable to the board. Same setup works fine with my metro mini and I see the USB serial port to select. But again... this does not show up with the Itsy Bitsy.
As another test I removed the board from from USB cable and supplied 6 volts to the "battery" and ground pins and there is no LED that lights so the board appears dead. Should there be a power led indicator?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ted

Hi... update...
After restarting Arduino IDE several times and unplugging and replugging in the board via USB... I now see the board on the port as /dev/cu.usbmodem 1411.
Now... sometimes... when I click the upload button the sketch will upload successfully (the light on the board begins pulsing then flickers) and I get an "upload done" message. But this only happens about 1 out of 10 times. In other words, I can do this successfully and then, without touching anything, try again and the upload process just hangs and the message continues to say "uploading..." but nothing happens. The led does pulse for a few moments, but nothing happens and the IDE is hung on "uploading..."
Thanks.

tsshapiro

Re: Itsy Bitsy 32u4 5v not working

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:40 pm

Try using a different USB cable.

USB signals are fast enough that the cable is a component, and they're not all the same. Some are just better quality than others, but sometimes a microcontroller will have quirks of signal timing that make it work better with one cable than another.

You might also try putting a cheap/old USB-2 hub between the computer and the Feather. High-speed USB ports, and especially USB-3 ports, start trying to recognize a device with a burst of data about 30 times faster than an ATmega32u4's CPU clock. That can cause problems for the bootloader.

A USB-2 hub should block the high-speed signals and make life easier for the microcontroller.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.