itSyBitSy help...
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: itSyBitSy help...

by mangoFPV on Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Can you post another photo of your Itsy Bitsy showing how you've soldered on the header pins. It's a little hard to tell in that photo, and I want to make sure they're OK.

Yep, the guide mentions switching from pin D10 to pin D5 for the NeoPixels. You would do that by changing the first argument in the setup of the NeoPixels as you've done in this line:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
neopixels = neopixel.NeoPixel(board.D5, NUMPIXELS, brightness=0.2, auto_write=False)

The code in the guide does it by using the variable pixel_pin.

Why are you also trying to set up another led on pin D5?

Hi!
I hope this gives you a better view. I think I have to go back to the LED_Trampoline tuts, cause I lost my train of thought after going through the CircuitPython tutorial. Thanks for your time!
side1.jpg
side1.jpg (899.38 KiB) Viewed 384 times

side2.jpg
side2.jpg (929.05 KiB) Viewed 384 times

mangoFPV

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue May 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks for those additional photos. Do you actually have those header pins soldered on? On the back side of the board?

adafruit_support_carter

by mangoFPV on Tue May 01, 2018 5:05 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Thanks for those additional photos. Do you actually have those header pins soldered on? On the back side of the board?

Actually not yet. I was trying to do a test run before I start to lock everything down, but maybe I should solder them down?

mangoFPV

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue May 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Yep. You should solder them. I've seen lots of people try that, and it seems like a good idea, basically stabbing the board down with the header pins. Unfortunately, you won't get reliable electrical connections like that.

adafruit_support_carter

by mangoFPV on Tue May 01, 2018 6:39 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Yep. You should solder them. I've seen lots of people try that, and it seems like a good idea, basically stabbing the board down with the header pins. Unfortunately, you won't get reliable electrical connections like that.

OK that was updated, now all soldered down, I also changed the "board.10" and changed it in the code as well at line 25: led = DigitalInOut(board.D10) & line 51: neopixels = neopixel.NeoPixel(board.D10, NUMPIXELS, brightness=0.2, auto_write=False). What else would be next at this point? Thanks!
side3.jpg
side3.jpg (774.24 KiB) Viewed 367 times

mangoFPV

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue May 01, 2018 8:50 pm

Soldering looks good!

One thing I'm seeing now is it looks like your LEDs might have four leads? Black, red, green, blue. Are they actually neopixels or regular RGB LEDs?

adafruit_support_carter

by mangoFPV on Tue May 01, 2018 8:58 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Soldering looks good!

One thing I'm seeing now is it looks like your LEDs might have four leads? Black, red, green, blue. Are they actually neopixels or regular RGB LEDs?

Good catch!
It's actually just three, the blue wire you see is not connected to anything. Actually I have a seperate 5v source coming in for the LEDs. Black is GND, Red is coming from VCC and attached to the lights, and the Yellow wire which turns into Green is going to my DI...Could be that I fried my board? Having a 5v coming from one side and a the other Red wire coming from the VCC off the itsyBtsy board going to the lights?

mangoFPV

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 am

I'm not following exactly how you have the external 5V supply wired in. Can you post a photo further out that shows how ALL the hardware is connected.

adafruit_support_carter

by mangoFPV on Wed May 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Hello,
Here are a couple of images...
pano_descrptions.jpg
pano_descrptions.jpg (629.54 KiB) Viewed 328 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (375.44 KiB) Viewed 328 times

1.jpg
1.jpg (647.21 KiB) Viewed 328 times

mangoFPV

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed May 02, 2018 7:18 pm

The pin labeled USB on the Itsy Bitsy is tied directly to VBUS on the USB connector. So be careful about using that power source at the same time. Since it's 5V, you should be able to remove the USB cable after programming and power the whole setup from the external 5V supply.

Getting back to your code. There are only NeoPixel being used here, not normal/simple LEDs. Looks like you're currently connected to pin 10, so you should be doing this:
neopixels = neopixel.NeoPixel(board.D10, NUMPIXELS, brightness=0.2, auto_write=False)

unless you switch back to pin 5. You do not need this at all:
led = DigitalInOut(board.D5)

since you don't have any other LEDs.

adafruit_support_carter

by mangoFPV on Wed May 02, 2018 9:11 pm

Actually thanks so much! it worked! UmmaGawd! This is awesome! Thanks for dealing with me and my photos. Now I can move foward. I think reading the whole CircuitPython lesson helped. I still might have questions moving foward, but nevertheless a big thank you!

mangoFPV

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu May 03, 2018 10:26 am

Awesome! It was probably just the soldering and some confusion resulting from that. Glad it's working. Have fun!

Also - thanks a bunch for providing all those images.

adafruit_support_carter

by mangoFPV on Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm

will try to send a timelapse video, since I was kind of documenting as I went along. Also have a place to land my drone at these races. Again Thank you!

mangoFPV

by mangoFPV on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:59 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Awesome! It was probably just the soldering and some confusion resulting from that. Glad it's working. Have fun!

Also - thanks a bunch for providing all those images.

Hello!
Thanks for all you help in the past and sorry if I'm reopening this thread. I have a client that wants to use the Raspberry Pi(RP) instead of using the trinket board? I wanted to keep the setup the same, but was wondering what would be needed to port over to the RP instead? Looks like the code may look the same as far as substituting the GPIO pins with its appropriate wires, but would I have to still run CircuitPython on the RP or is just regular python2 or 3 that came with Raspbian ok? Thanks for any help!!!!!

mangoFPV

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:52 pm

Due to the tight timing requirements of the NeoPixel data signal, it's actually a little difficult to run NeoPixels on a Raspberry Pi. You can't just reuse the CircuitPython library. You'd have to do something like this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/neopixels-on ... i/overview

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.