Ground circuit question regarding Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Blueshark

Ground circuit question regarding Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V

Post by Blueshark »

Hi fellow Makers....

I'm working on the "Timelapse Spy Camera" tutorial, but instead of a Trinket 3V/5V, I'm going to use an Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V 8 Mhz; since its USB friendly and its cheaper and smaller than a Feather.

In this Mod project, I'm going to have TWO boards connected to each other by wires until I buy Two Bluetooths to pair them up in communitation; the Arduino will control the Cellular chip for communication, and the Itsy Bitsy will control the Mini Spy Camera. (I don't want to keep the Arduino waiting to free up time to control the camera, that's why I'm using two Microcontrollers)

EDIT***
I'm using a signal converter from 5V to 3V to condition the Arduino 5V digital logic High pin to 3V signal logic level for the Itsy Bitsy digital pin.

My question is do I have to connect the Gounds of the Two boards together to properly communicate with each other through digital pins? I'm pretty sure I do, but I just want to make sure, theres the diffirence of potential on the power supplys; Arduino 5v, Itsy Bitsy 3V.

Thanks.

danhalbert

Re: Ground circuit question regarding Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V

Post by danhalbert »

Yes, connect the grounds together, so that they share a common reference voltage (ground), and so that that current can flow between the pins and ground.

Blueshark

Re: Ground circuit question regarding Itsy Bitsy 32u4 3V

Post by Blueshark »

Thank You Admin danhalbert

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Itsy Bitsy Boards”